1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a 1986 production Series-80 Combat Commander in trade from a reputable dealer. Upon disassembly, it has had a 'cut-down' collet bushing installed en lieu of the standard solid bushing. It begs the question, 'Why'? The dealer was unable to answer the question.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bubba smith

By shortening the bushing, you would be removing some of the support surface on the "fingers" of the bushing which defeats the original design purpose of the collet bushing used in series 70 full size pistols ONLY.
The fingers are basically spring loaded to firmly grasp the barrel and eliminate as much side to side movement as possible between the bushing/barrel to increase accuracy. This type of design is used in a lot of other applications.
I'm not positive, but it probably needed to be shortened because of the different cycle lengths between a Commander (4 1/4" bbl) and a full size 1911 (5" bbl). If Colt could of made it work in Commander length gun, they would have done it. I'm sure there's a very good reason they didn't. Better minds at work there then mine.
Doesn't say much for the gun shop, in my opinion they should have replaced this upon inspection when they took this gun in on trade. I would consider this an unsafe modifications from the garage gunsmith. Makes you wonder what else was home smith'ed by bubba. I would recommend a complete and detailed inspection by someone in the know.
I read a lot about the topic, and this is the first time I ever heard of this, not that it's never happened, but that it was certainly not a common mod, this probably says something too. If it actually worked, someone else would have adopted it.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan several 'upgrades' to this Commander, but before I fire it, I'm going to have a correct bushing fitted. This is going to be a dedicated CCW piece. Anyone care to recommend a bushing?

·
Registered
21,991 Posts
My guy likes Kings.
Lots of EGWs on this board.

Barsto made a collet bushing that would work in Commanders. Maybe Bubba was trying to copy that. Dean Grennell said they discontinued them because people ignored the instructions and yanked the bushings off over the flared muzzle which bent or broke the fingers.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Later this evening, I'll post a pic of the bushing in question.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps this will show what was done.

·
Registered
21,991 Posts
That is definitely a cut down Colt Mk IV Gov't Model collet bushing.
I guess Bubba thought it was a cheap way to better accuracy like Jeff Cooper said and was determined to make it work on a Commander. I bet it would be less likely to break like that than as originally used. But I might not bet my life on it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't. I replaced it today with a Colt factory Commander bushing from my local gunsmith. It will suffice until I can have an undersized bushing properly fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts