1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got an older Gold Cup,series 70,with the collet ( split)bushing.any one ever have or hear of a bushing failure ? never had any trouble with mine,just wondering. thanks lots.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes.I've heard from good sources that collet bushings do break making the firearm non-functional.Stay with a solid bushing on any firearm You expect to use in self defense.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
While the collet bushing did help assure a tight lock up, there were/are problems with fingers breaking. Most of the breakage was/is the result of poor bushing fit to the slide, off spec heat treatment of the bushing (the fingers are springs) or off spec machining of the fingers.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,009 Posts
Everyone has "heard" of broken collets, but how many actually break? I'm starting to liken the broken collet to the cracked Delta Elite: If ten frames crack, and the story is retold 1000 times; is that 10,000 cracked frames? Kuhnhausen's manual left me with the impression that collets either break or don't. If the slide is machined properly, and the dimensions are within proper tolerances, the collet will work fine. If something was wrong, it probably would have broken long before it was thirty years old. Solid bushings can break, too.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've fired thousands of rounds through my Series 70 GCNM and the collet is also fine.

(Knock on wood.)

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I've seen two. I was at the range (next to the shooter) when one broke a finger. We had a heck ofa time getting the pistol apart. The other one was brought into a buddy's gun shop while I was there for repair/replacement.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had one break a finger on a Govt series 80 that had about 10,000 rounds through it. Had to use a mallet to pound the slide forward before I could disassemble the gun.

I replaced it with another collet bushing, straight drop-in. After 30,000 rounds, it's still going strong.

Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got collets on 2 series 70's, each with between 10,000 and 12,000 rounds through them.
I did have one that had a collet finger crack at about 8,000 rounds but that was due to poor machining of the collet finger itself. I still have the collet bushings and will continue to use them, after being inspected.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I have had to take a couple out that broke in use. Like you guys said you need a mallet to take the gun appart. For competition fine
for Defence I would pass. This Particular jam makes the gun totally unserviceable. In a sport with allabys (clearly spelled wrong)
it is fine. I suspect it does the gun and barrel no good to jam solid. I have seen probably 6 but as I have seen people would bring a gun to a gunsmith because it is broken.
geo ><>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts