1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It’s not that long ago that these features would have cost you a pretty penny on a factory Hi-Power. The new Girsan/EAA MCP35 OPS is a pretty sweet package for $600. You get….

- beavertail (no more hammer bite) with a really high grip/hold

- fiber optic front with adjustable rear

- competition flat trigger (4.8 lbs)

- extended slide release lever

- flared/beveled magwell

- G10 grips

- light rail (which I don’t really care for but the added weight up front helps)

- no mag disconnect

- very nice undercut

Will see how she shoots in a few days. So far I’m impressed. For the future I can see some trigger work and maybe a refinish with hard chrome frame and blued slide with brushed flats.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Very nice pick up. I have been impressed with the base model, and look forward to getting a Match model.

I just noticed the base of the grip is flared, like some of the FEG Hi Power clone models. I wonder if there is enough metal for checkering the front grip strap?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice pick up. I have been impressed with the base model, and look forward to getting a Match model.

I just noticed the base of the grip is flared, like some of the FEG Hi Power clone models. I wonder if there is enough metal for checkering the front grip strap?
I’m sure there is since there’s a large undercut that takes a decent chunk out of the grip frame. As long as you checker Under that you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I do not understand the fetish with grip checkering when you can merely apply a piece of skateboard tape which works just as good good if not better and which you can simply remove if you ever sell the gun. Function over form.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I do not understand the fetish with grip checkering when you can merely apply a piece of skateboard tape which works just as good good if not better and which you can simply remove if you ever sell the gun. Function over form.
To each his own. I like to have different upgrades in my Hi Power collection. I have some stippled but not checkered as most Hi Power smiths wont do it. But in checkering the grip of a Girsan, it would be a customized project with other enhancements and upgrades. But I think we are talking about two totally different things, one a costly custom clone project vs a low cost home applied solution. That said, I would never put skateboard tape on one of my Hi Powers or clones, but if you like the tape and glued on texture, cool, it works for you. While I dont agree with your term of checkering "fetish", the tape method just does not work for me nor is it the way I care for and handle my Hi Powers. Again, to each his own.

·
Registered
578 Posts
For me this addresses a lot of the shortcomings of the High Power. I’ve been trying to keep eye open for these as they hit the market. Thanks to the OP for the pics and quick review. Looks like a fantastic pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was a little sad to see the flared grip on both the OPS and Match versions, as only one of them had it on the Shot Show examples. It really destroys the lines of the pistol for me. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to file it off cleanly.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ahhhh…….you can also wipe your arse with a pine cone. I prefer Charmin.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Shot several hundred rounds without any issues. I need to figure out something with the light. The rail is too short for the crossbar to engage a slot. I had it held on with just the wedge part of the rail lock set up. The light seemed on tight. I could not rip it off by hand or with draws from the holster but it came off under recoil.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

Well today was modern old school day at the range (modern take on old school guns.) The Girsan Hi-Power was perfect. No malfunctions but only shot 200 rounds (Blazer 115 aluminum and Magtech 115.) I really like the fiber optic front and black adjustable rear sight.

Here is my first mag at 10 yards unsupported. It’s plenty accurate. I forgot how quickly Hi-powers get hot especially around the dust cover.

On an unrelated note I also picked up my new B&T today. Can’t wait to Form1 this bad boy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shot several hundred rounds without any issues. I need to figure out something with the light. The rail is too short for the crossbar to engage a slot. I had it held on with just the wedge part of the rail lock set up. The light seemed on tight. I could not rip it off by hand or with draws from the holster but it came off under recoil.
I think I found a light that works for the MC P35 OPS rail system? The Streamlight TLR-7 (Or 8) Flex model using the 1913-3 adapter insert. The rear of the light doesn't make contact with the trigger guard, but I haven't shot it under recoil to see if there's enough bite on the rails. The clamp of the right side of the light seems a little shallow on the rail but won't know til it decides to abandon ship on the range.
Trigger Air gun Revolver Wood Gun barrel

Purple Violet Automotive tire Magenta Electric blue
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Auto part

1 - 20 of 24 Posts