1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let Denver residents know that are CCW privildges may be in danger and we should all write the city council and encourage them to drop their challenges to the new laws. I just sent an e-mail to every council member and each of us should do the same and flood them with requests.

http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/read.aspx?ID=624

In March, Governor Bill Owens (R) signed both SB 24, which established a statewide "shall issue" Right to Carry system, and SB 25 which preempts local guns laws, including both the Denver and Colorado Springs gun registries and the Denver assault weapons` law. Both laws took effect immediately. Now, according to the Denver Post Capitol Bureau, the Denver City Council is meeting to discuss how these new laws could be challenged in court.

Please contact members of the city council at (720) 865-9534, or by visiting the Denver Council website at Denvergov.org. Please remind the council members that Colorado is a safer place to live because of the new state firearm laws, and that citizens of Colorado should not have to worry about onerous local regulations based upon where they reside, or when traveling throughout the state. All law-abiding citizens should be able to defend themselves and their families if they choose.

Here's a list of every council member and their e-mail addresses. Just write one and then cut and paste.
http://www.denvergov.org/CityCouncil/63contact.asp

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Here In Michigan we went though something quite similar. After fighting for years to get this turned into a Shall issue state, several anit Detroit area city counsels passed an ordanance stating that there will be no CCW on any city property. Luckly Mi reserves the right to say that and not the locals, and have it in a state law. But we still had to sue them in court to prove it. No we could not recoup our legal fees but we did win.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The article you mentioned is way back in April, before the passing of the state CCW bill.

Currently, there is no talk of repealing the CCW law in Denver as far as any of my friends and I know.

Sending letters to City Councilmen, well, 'let sleeping dogs lie'.

Denver has too much on its plate to survive economically these days.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I'll agree that Denver has plenty of problems these days.

Admittedly the article that I pasted was a bit older but I had heard more recently that they were still working on fighting it but that the issue was currently with their attorneys. I'm not sure that they would give up on it so easily.

Well, you may be right. The latest news was Sept 26, 2003 saying that a judge said they could proceed with their suit against the governor and the state. Maybe they changed their minds.

I'll post it if I get any kind of response in either direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts