1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing the gunman was surprised to learn the New Life Church has an security staff. Kudos to the good guys!

Harry

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is there an article you can post where we can read about this???

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Somebody mentioned that they heard the armed 'security' person who shot the perp was female. Any confirmation on that? Would be good if that were the case because it instantly takes away from 'rambo' counter-arguments.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
It's true!!

That was the report in this morning's Gazette.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/church_30703___article.html/people_new.html

A gunman on Sunday shot several New Life Church worshippers, two of them fatally, before he was killed by a security guard.
(BRYAN OLLER, THE GAZETTE0
Police ID teens killed in New Life shootings
Comments 143| Recommend 104
By PERRY SWANSON
THE GAZETTE
December 10, 2007 - 2:28PM

The New Life Church shooting tore apart a close-knit and deeply religious family, killing two of four teenage children and wounding the father, relatives said today.

The dead are 18-year-old Stephanie Works and her sister, 16-year-old Rachael Works. They were described by their uncle, Mark Schaepe of Lincoln, Neb, as outgoing cheerful, faithful and smart.

“It teaches you that life is precious,” he said.

The Works sisters are survived by their parents, David Works, who was shot twice in the attack and remained hospitalized in fair condition; and Marie Works, along with two sisters.
The other victims of Sunday’s shootings include:

-Judy Purcell, 40, who suffered a gunshot wound to the right shoulder. She was treated at the hospital and released.
-Larry Bourbannais, 59, who suffered a gunshot wound to the left forearm. He was treated at the hospital and released.

The shooting followed an attack on a Denver-area missionary training center that left two people dead. Police investigators focused on a 24-year-old Arapahoe County man who lives at a house that was first searched before the second shooting Sunday.

Law enforcement sources have told KCNC television in Denver that the gunman found dead in the New Life Church in Matthew J. Murray, one of two sons of Denver-area neurosurgeon Ronald S. Murray.

Police agencies first arrived at the Murray home in the 10900 block of East Berry Place before noon Sunday and searched until before dawn today.

Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson confirmed his agency’s bomb squad was dispatched to the home about 7:15 Sunday night. He said his agency was supporting Arvada and Colorado Springs police who were executing a search warrant at the house. Police took several boxes of items from the home.

Ronald Murray’s Lone Tree medical office was closed this morning.

“Dr. Murray’s office is closed and he will not be available until further notice,” a phone recording said.

The gunman died at the scene in the parking lot. New Life Pastor Brady Boyd said church officials consider the attack on New Life a random act.

“We don’t know the shooter. He has no connection to our church,” he said.

Schaepe said family members suspect that the shooter could have targeted the girls because they were involved heavily with Youth With a Mission and had frequented the Arvada training center for the missionary group where two people were shot to death hours before the New Life attack.

The girls had gone on a mission trip to China with Youth With a Mission last year, Schaepe said.

Police in Arvada have said the two cases are likely linked.

Colorado Springs Police scheduled a press conference for 3 p.m. to offer additional details.
Boyd said he’s most concerned for “the family that lost two teenage daughters.”

“You can imagine what the parents are going through, losing two children by coming to church,” he said. “I’m asking Colorado Springs and the country, please pray for that family because they’re going through a hard time.”

Schaepe said the Works family, which moved to Denver from Montana in the mid-1990s, is deeply religious and home-schooled the four girls.

He said the family gravitated to New Life and had become heavily involved in church life.
“They felt at home in that particular group,” he said.

Schaepe said he hadn’t talked to the girls’ mother, Marie, but said family members were on the way from Nebraska to stay with her and the surviving children.

An official at the Dayton Meadows Apartments in Aurora, where the Works live, declined to answer questions about the family and asked media to leave the property today. The complex, a series of three-floor brick-and-wood buildings with a sign advertising “Two Bedrooms Free Rent” in an apartment-heavy area, sat quiet this morning.

Boyd said the security guard who killed the shooter was a “hero” whose actions had averted further bloodshed. He said she is normally his personal security guard, but on Sunday was stationed in the middle of a church rotunda, on the lookout for danger following reports of a shooting at a Christian ministry near Denver earlier in the day that left two dead. He said she is “highly trained” and has a background in law enforcement but is not currently a law enforcement officer.

Boyd said 15-20 volunteer church members regularly work as security guards on New Life’s 38-acre campus. The church has had a emergency response and evacuation plan in place for several years, he said.

“That’s the reality of our world. None of us grew up in a church where that was a reality, but today it is,” he said.

Boyd said the church might have been a target because of its high profile in the city, adding there might be some connection with the ousting last year of founder and former pastor Ted Haggard.

Boyd said he had visited and prayed with the victims' family in the hospital.

Woodmen Valley Chapel, another large church in Colorado Springs, offered crisis counseling for people who are distraught over the shootings. The counseling is available at the church’s Rockrimmon Campus Community Center, 290 E. Woodmen Road. For details, call 599-8652.

“Obviously the trauma that happened yesterday will take a long time to get through,” Boyd said. “But this is a strong church.”

CONTACT THE WRITER: 636-0187 or [email protected]. Tom Roeder, Andrea Brown, Ed Sealover and Richard Wiens of The Gazette, and the Rocky Mountain News contributed to this report.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
From the article:

Boyd said 15 to 20 volunteer church members regularly work as security guards on New Life’s 38-acre campus.
So - their security guards aren't Pinkerton's or paid security professionals, but "church members" who "volunteer" and are "armed". Sounds like the church there is taking advantage of (in a good way) the Permit to Carry which some of their members have. Sounds to me like the CO permit to carry just paid off, big time, for that state.

+1 to the church for doing this ... wish my church did but I'm sure they don't want to offend anyone, er - I mean they don't want to offend the antis - ok to offend me I guess. Just the same - they inherit protection when people with a carry permit are there to worship, with or without the church's official knowledge. It is legal to do so in MN.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I carry everywhere in Colorado, including my church. If it's a place where I can't legally carry, I don't go, unless it’s absolutely necessary.

I had read about the earlier shooting, and I'm familiar with that ministry, that group and that church, my second thought after grieving for the wounded kids and horror of the whole thing, was "Oh, great" now we'll have “copy cat” church shootings. My third thought was to upgrade my CCW yesterday morning from 9mm pocket pistol to .45acp hip carry. But I thought, naw, can't happen here, I'm being paranoid and I really I don't want the hassle of dressing around the larger .45acp; the pocket 9mm is fine.

The second shooting in the Springs was just down the road from us. About the time it was happening I was sitting in our church cafe, with my sister, girlfriend, friends and pastor. Easy targets, especially for someone with a rifle.

I guess we need to be prepared. "If we underestimate evil we run the risk of being blindsided by it"

Prepared like the very brave lady who was "security" at New Life Church, from what I've read a very brave woman indeed, who immediately engaged and ended the situation.

We're fortunate in Colorado we can legally carry just about anywhere, aside from the typical “kill zones” such as airplanes, schools, federal buildings or places with metal detectors.

I heard the New Life Pastor in a Fox News interview say "We have 12-15 people, who are legally licensed to carry concealed weapons" he mentioned that the "security" lady was licensed to carry her own personal weapon and she did have a background in law enforcement.

I'm not sure about the official status of the "security gal". In my church I know a few retired LEO's as well as regular officers who are counted on to provide "security", and it's not unusual to see a uniform during a service.

I'm also pretty sure I'm not the only "regular guy" with a CCW permit.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those families.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Yep, she was a volunteer--not an off-duty LEO or professional security guard--just a courageous lady in the congregation with a carry license, a gun, and the skill and will to use it.

Pastor: Guard, plan saved 'hundreds of lives' at church

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) -- A Colorado Springs megachurch instituted security precautions after a shooting at a Denver area mission center earlier Sunday, saving "hundreds of lives" at the New Life Church, senior Pastor Brady Boyd said Monday.

A New Life parishioner acting as a security guard shot and killed a gunman who entered the church Sunday afternoon after he had gotten no more than 50 feet inside the building, Boyd said.

Two teens, identified by police as Rachael Works, 16, and Stephanie Works, 18, were killed in what Boyd called "a senseless, random attack."

Boyd said the teens were sisters and were shot in the parking lot. Police said their father David Works, 51, was also shot and is hospitalized in fair condition with two gunshot wounds.

Boyd said the female security guard was a hero in preventing further bloodshed, rushing to confront the gunman just inside the church.

"She probably saved over a hundred lives," Boyd said of the guard, whom he said is not a law enforcement officer and used her personal weapon.

Boyd said the gunman, whom police have yet to identify, had no connection to the church.

"He simply showed up on our property yesterday with a gun, with the intention of hurting people, and he did," Boyd said.

The pastor also said New Life had taken extra precautions Sunday after hearing of the attack in Arvada, Colorado, early Sunday morning, in which a gunman killed two people after he was refused lodging at Youth With a Mission live-in Christian missionary center.

"Hundreds of lives were saved yesterday because of the plan that was put in place," said Boyd, who put the number of people on the church campus at the time as 7,000.

Authorities say the Arvada and Colorado Springs shootings may be related, and overnight police from Arvada executed a search warrant obtained by Colorado Springs police for an address in the Denver suburb of Englewood. Authorities did not say how the address may relate to the case.

Lt. Skip Arms of the Colorado Springs Police Department said that no motive has been determined for the gunman at the second shooting. The gunman's identity has not been released.

Police in the two cities say different weapons were used in the shootings -- a handgun in Arvada and a rifle in Colorado Springs.

The first incident took place Sunday at about 12:30 a.m. at Youth With a Mission in Arvada. Police said a man with a beard, wearing a dark jacket, glasses, and skullcap, entered the facility, got into a dispute with a staff member about whether he could stay there for the night, and then opened fire.

Investigators tried to track the gunman through fresh snow with the help of dogs, but lost his trail in a heavily walked area, Deputy Chief Gary Creager of Arvada police said.

Then shortly after 1 p.m. in Colorado Springs -- about 80 miles south of Arvada -- a black-clad gunman opened fire on worshippers at New Life.

Youth With a Mission co-founder Peter Warren identified the two killed staff members as Tiffany Johnson, 26, and Philip Crouse, 24. He said they were cleaning up from a Saturday night Christmas banquet when the attack occurred.

Another staff member, 24-year-old Dan Griebenow, was in critical condition with a bullet in his neck as of Sunday night, and a second survivor, Charlie Blanch, was shot in the legs, the group said on its Web site.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I certainly don`t mean to take ANYTHING away from the woman guard who shot this assailant, I applaud her actions completely, but I guess I`m rather flaberghasted that a church of any kind routinely has armed security. Is this church in an area prone to vandalsm or crime in general, or has there been some sort of threat to this religious organization or it`s people? I`m only curious.....I`m not making judgements

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I`m rather flaberghasted that a church of any kind routinely has armed security.
I'm suprised as you are that any church would pull it's head out of the sand ... even though the need is obvious. It's not like criminals respect the sanctity of the church, or that churches have zero money ...

Most pastors visit the prisons and some of those people pay a visit when they get out. Ex-husbands sometimes show up lookin' for their spouse, drifters want a hand-out and they don't like hearing "no". Our church has three registered sex offenders (not the clergy, btw) and a host of mothers who sometimes bring in their derelict teenagers "to get some churchin' " - their friends waiting in the lot rollin' a J. We have thousands of dollars sitting on plates in a little room or being carried by one pencil-neck who would faint if he knew anyone had so much as a pocket-knife. Hey, a few years ago in our neighboring state, a catholic priest murdered two people.

Just in your own neck of the woods, I had a friend who preached at the church of Christ in Romulus, MI and a guy pulled out a gun DURING SERVICES and threatened the preacher. I guess they had a half-way house down the street. That church moved to Yipsilante (spelling?) a few years later. That was 1996. I guess a few churches do take precautions, but in our own neck of the woods it is the churches that are the leading proponents of anti-gun / anti-carry legislation.

·
Administrator
73,792 Posts
The woman should be applauded, not only for her herosim but also for finally proving what we've been saying all along. The only way to stop mass shootings is to have somebody there with a gun to stop the SOB.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
dsk said:
The woman should be applauded, not only for her herosim but also for finally proving what we've been saying all along. The only way to stop mass shootings is to have somebody there with a gun to stop the SOB.
I do applaud her actions. And I agree wholeheartedly that this helps prove the point that an armed good person is our only defense against those with evil in their hearts. Too bad more people don`t feel this way, a legislator in MI has introduced legislation to do away with pistol free zones, but the dem controlled house won`t let it out of committee.

·
Registered
343 Posts
msjdgman said:
I certainly don`t mean to take ANYTHING away from the woman guard who shot this assailant, I applaud her actions completely, but I guess I`m rather flaberghasted that a church of any kind routinely has armed security. Is this church in an area prone to vandalsm or crime in general, or has there been some sort of threat to this religious organization or it`s people? I`m only curious.....I`m not making judgements
Please. It was obviously necessary and it paid off by saving lives. Don't be flabergasted. Be aware. It can happen anywhere.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Permission to carry in a church

Disclaimer: I am only familiar with Michigan law. Having traveled a bit I have dealt with CCW laws in other states. Many of them run similar to MI.

A church is private property. To carry on private property all a person needs is permission from the property owner to carry a concealed firearm. In MI churches are gun free zones and even civialian CPL holders can not carry a gun into a church. However, with written permission from the head of the church (Pastor, Priest, Rabbi, etc.) a person can carry his or her firearm in the building and on their grounds legally.

My point here is that if a church wanted to provide itself some armed member security, they need not obtain CCWs or special permissions from any agency other than the church in question itself.

·
Administrator
13,318 Posts
You can catch an interview with her and the pastor on Fox's GretaV . Should be another airing tonoght for westcoast viewers .

They said he was carrying almost 1000 rds of ammo . Not sure of the caliber . Lot's more would've died if not for her bravery .

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
guy sajer said:
Lot's more would've died if not for her bravery .
Indeed--she sounds like a true warrior. If this account is accurate, two male security guards (armed) basically froze--a pretty stark reminder of the necessity to be mentally prepared for the unthinkable. Clearly, she was.

Larry Bourbonnais, a combat-tested Vietnam veteran, said it was the bravest thing he's ever seen.

Bourbonnais, who was among those shot by a gunman Sunday at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, watched as a security guard, a woman who has not yet been named, calmly returned fire and killed the shooter.

"She just started walking toward the gunman firing the whole way," said Bourbonnais, who was shot in the arm. "She was just yelling 'Surrender,' walking and shooting the whole time."

Bourbonnais, 59, had just finished up a hamburger in the cafeteria on the sprawling church campus when he heard gunfire, he recalled.

Bourbonnais headed in the direction of the shots as frightened people ran past him looking to escape to safety.

"Where's the shooter? Where's the shooter?" Bourbonnais kept yelling, he recalled.

Near an entryway in the church, Bourbonnais came upon the gunman and an armed male church security guard who was there with his gun drawn but not firing, he said.

Bourbonnais said he pleaded with the armed guard to give him his weapon.

"Give me your handgun. I've been in combat, and I'm going to take this guy out," Bourbonnais recalled telling the guard. "He kept yelling, 'Get behind me! Get behind me!' He wouldn't hand me his weapon, but he wouldn't do anything."

There was an additional armed security guard there, another man, who also didn't fire, Bourbonnais said.

Bourbonnais yelled at the gunman to draw his attention, he said.

"First, I called him 'Coward' then I called him 'S---head' " Bourbonnais said. "I probably shouldn't have been saying that in church."

That's when the shooter pointed one of his guns at Bourbonnais and fired, he said.

Bourbonnais ducked behind a hollow, decorative pillar and was hit in the arm by a bullet and fragments of the pillar.

At about that moment, a female guard with a drawn handgun turned a corner and walked toward the gunman and yelled "Surrender!" Bourbonnais said.

The gunman pointed a handgun at the woman and fired three shots, Bourbonnais said. She returned fire and just kept walking toward the gunman pressing off round after round.

The female guard fired off about a dozen shots.

After the gunman went down, Bourbonnais asked the woman, who has only been identified as a volunteer security guard with the church, how she remained so calm and focused.

Bourbonnais said she replied:

"I was asking the Holy Spirit to guide me the entire time."
This country could use a few million more of her, I would say.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Christians 1 Badguys nil.

Edit: Just noticed scumbag killed two innocents before he got his. Well at least the attack was ended before it really got going, coulda been much worse.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How fortunate for all of us who carry, that this was a woman! The press as someone so correctly stated earlier will have to tread somewhat lightly around this incident because it was not a "Bloodthirsty Male" who disposed of this psycho!!:eek:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bet the mainstream media really hates this, a white christian woman with a gun and a ccw permit killed the bad guy. This proves as always that guns save people and I bet the Brady Bunch does not like this one bit. On a side note, I have noticed they dont have ANYTHING about this on their website. But the hypocrites are exploiting the Omaha shooting. Kudos to this woman and God Bless her.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts