1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the review of Colt's "new" Government Models it states that the 01091's slide and frame flats have a brushed finish while the rounded surfaces are bead-blasted matte. All of the recent 01091's I've seen have been bead-blasted all over. Does anyone know if the nice brushed finish has been discontinued on the 01091?

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
The all-over matte finish is an older finish. In the last year or so, Colt changed the finish and went to matte rounds with a beautiful brush polish on the flats... and a new, more refined rollmark. Like this:

Colt new Rollmark SS 1991A1 – Series 80 - Government

These images don't really render the polish on the flats very well, but it is there, and quite beautiful. A very refined look.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Dhart,

Love those pictures. Are some of the parts in the stainless models actually nickel plated?

Also, what trigger is in your picture? Short Casull?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! This really helps narrow my decision. Are the XSEs the same way (brushed flats, matt rounds)?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes..The XSE rollmark of course different among other things.

I've had a blued NRM 1991 and s SS XSE Government model.
I like the XSE allot more, the slide fit is better than the 1991.

I'm not big on the front serrations of the XSE, but I still like
more than my NRM 1991.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because the slide is tighter on the XSE, does this mean more chance of misfire than on the 1991?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not in 3,056 rounds. I'm suprised the MIM extractor hasn't broken yet.

The XSE slide is tighter than my 1991, but you can still shake it.
It's not like a Kimber...it's a Colt, still has some rattle to it.

The only problem I've encountered was with the rear sight coming
loose, a small amount of Loctite fixed it.

I ran across a SS Colt Enhanced MK IV Government model, it had the relief cut under the trigger guard like a XSE but was flat on top of the slide. Unfortnately it looked like the previous owner took it apart with a hammer and punch (dinged up around the pins). What a waste....

If your heart is set on a 1991 go for it. I just prefer the stainless
steel models myself.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Tightness of slide to frame fit will be unique from individual gun to gun, not specific to a particular model line. Colts traditionally have a bit of play in the slide to frame fit which generally results in a more reliably functioning 1911. The tighter the fit, the more possibility of crud, powder residue, or whatever causing some interference in the proper cycling of the slide which could lead to a malfunction. A little play in the slide to frame fit allows a little more leeway for buildup of gunk without compromising function. John Browning designed the 1911 slide to frame tolerances to be looser than what is typically seen today. Those looser tolerances are what has given the 1911 such reliability over the many decades of military use. Today's buyers have come to think that a super tight fit of slide to frame is a hallmark of quality, but in reality it *can* reduce reliability in a defense weapon. A small bit of play in slide to frame fit is just fine... you might even think of it as a possible indicator of better reliability. This isn't to say that a tight fit of slide to frame means unreliable... just that there is less tolerance for build up of accumulated powder residue and crud.

Accuracy is a function of barrel to slide fit, not so much of slide to frame fit.

My 1991 in the pics above has a Masen arched, serrated MSH which I polished the sides of and a short Casull trigger.... I am a total fan of the arched MSH and short solid trigger look and feel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
On my XSE I tried the Casull short trigger but found that the
original Colt 3 hole trigger that was longer fit better. I replaced the flat MSH with a Colt arched one. That alone made quite a difference in feel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts