1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have a newbie question for you. I'm in CA so my choices of firearms are limited to what's on the DOJ's approved list. There is a model 01091Z that I'm looking at but I cant find any info on it. Google and Yahoo searches came up blank. Does anyone have any info about this model?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
229 Posts
The closest I could find on the Colt web-site was a SS Gov't 1991a1, that has the model # of 01091. :confused:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I think it is some sort of a commemorative model built on a Colt by a third party.

·
Administrator
73,466 Posts
I am not sure, but I would make a guess that the 01091Z is simply a 01091 labeled as CA-approved.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just a guess, but my Defender is a model 07000DZ, it is a Colt Custom Defender. The box is marked accordingly. The regular production Defenders are model 07000D. Maybe the Z denotes Custom of some type???

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think my guess was correct. I just checked the box label on my NIB 01991Z, it is marked Custom 1991A1. Mine is matte blue, the one you are referring to model 01091Z is probably the same thing but in matte stainless. These are the Lew Horton guns, I can't remember what is custom about them except they came with a Videki trigger, may have some other features though..They have the billboard 1991 rollmarks..hope this helps..

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
In a recent gun periodical there was a full-page ad for a Colt 1911, it was gold engraved, and really sort of "pimped-out". It was some kind of commemorative. A new model Colt.

It was for sale, and they did NOT say "not for sale in CA" or any hint of any disclaimer like that. Not even "may not be for sale in all areas." There was NOTHING to indicate I couldn't buy it.

I assumed that was the one.

It may have been American Rifleman, or it might be Guns&Ammo, I don't think it was Front Sight. But it's in the last couple months.

Did you try a Google search?

·
Registered
399 Posts
it also has a different hammer .... seems to be some kind of Lou Horton model maybe ....

are these made by Colt then altered by a third party by any chance?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Speaking of Z marks, anyone know what the "Z" stamp on this 1911 means?
I bought it (a 1996 Government Enhanced model) recently and noticed the Z
mark on the frame.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Guys, a model O1091Z means a custom factory model O1091.

Colt uses the letter "Z" to name custom editions or Custom Shop guns.

Most of my Colts were made on a custom basis by the Custom Shop, all of them showing model numbers ending with a "Z"

Hope it helps,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts