1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at a 1903 Colt 98% #514490 made 1934 very nice gun with two tone mag and walnut grips. All original asking price $795.00. Would this be a fair price?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
If it is all original and not a refin... I would swan dive on it in a heart beat. :biglaugh:Of course, other opinions to follow.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I looked it over and the finish is a nice blue, not reblued and not the older bright blue. All the roll marks look right & crisp with sharp edges. The magazine is original - two tone, marked colt .32 on the bottom plate as is the walnut grips with Colt medallions. The barrel is bright, no pitting. All the small parts look right. Is there something else I should be looking for? BTW :The dealer guarantees it to be 100% original or money back. Can't beat that.

·
Administrator
73,988 Posts
Not trying to be a grammar Nazi, but please use proper punctuation. Otherwise it makes your posts very hard to read.

$795 seem fair if it's truly 98% and original finish. If you've never owned one of these before they're a real treat to have and to shoot.

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
I am no authority on these guns.

But I like them a lot. I have one older refinished one that I use for a back up gun, and sometimes as even a primary. Additionally I have one made in the fourties that I think is all original. Currently I am looking at another one circa 1919 that is very clean, Probably in the same condition range as the one you are looking at. The price that you quote seems a little high to me. But you have to ask yourself. How much do you like the gun? How long will it be before you see another one in this condition?
Assuming that we maintain control of our government. These guns will never go down in value. Your money, your choice.

My two cents, What do I know? :rock:

·
Administrator
73,988 Posts
It looks absolutely identical to my 1927-vintage .380 M1908. If you like it then buy it. They're such fun to have and shoot you won't be disappointed. Just make sure everything works properly (such as the safeties), the bore is excellent, and the mag is in good shape with no split feed lips (a common problem). Finding replacement magazines is going to be your biggest challenge. Originals in great shape are very hard to find, and when found they often sell for as much as $100 a pop.

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
Good for you!

I do not think that you will regret your decision to buy it. If you ever decide to carry it for a backup protection gun. Check out the Buffalo bore ammo for it. The ammo seems like a pretty good show stopper for caliber size. It functions very reliably in mine. Additionally these guns were engineered pretty heavy and I do not see wearing it out with this ammo. It may not be a gun that you want to fire 1000 rounds a week out of. But you will have a lot of fun with it. I have never been able to do any real accurate shooting with small pistols. These are different.

Good luck. :rock:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I have a Colt 1903 #222,5xx (1916) in similar condition, and I love it. They are great little pistols. Bogart liked them too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How does this pistol work? I put the clip in with a round and with the slide locked back I release it, does not feed the round. I have to rack the slide again for it to feed is this right ?

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
I do it like this.

Place a loaded magazine, (It is not a clip!) in the gun. Rack the slide and this should strip the top round out of the magazine and chamber it. put the manual safety on and then drop the magazine out. Top off the magazine, reinsert it and you should be ready to go.

Have fun and be carefull! :rock:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Rhood, the slide will also not lock back after you fire the magazine's last round, so don't be alarmed when you pull the trigger on an empty chamber.

I really like my 1093s, and, IMO, they are easier to field strip than 1911s. In fact, I'm gonna shoot both of mine on Friday.

Have fun, they're a blast to shoot!

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
I have two of them.

They are not in as good a shape as yours but they are a lot of fun to shoot. These guns are not only great shooters but they have a lot of panache. The picture is lousy I know. But the unrefinished one is in a lot better shape than it looks. The other one is a great backup gun.

Keep your powder dry! :rock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts