1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It might be, but I'd be real skeptical. I've never seen anything like that before. You notice that Collectors doesn't give any more than a description, they are not putting themselves in a position of culpability if it turns out to be something that was cooked up on the West Coast.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
A certain dealer in collector guns in Huntington Beach CA sells pistols that are many times, let us say, too good to be true. Stories abound about semi-collectable pistols bought at auction transmorthing into highly collectable "new in box" after a few months. Same serial numbers. This dealer has a 100% no-questions asked money back guarantee, or so I'm told.

If you want to play the collector game you need the references and a sharp eye. See the frequent posts on counting checkering lines in grips! I don't play it, I don't have the disposable income. I have a M1911 made in 1919 that's not completely "correct" but I didn't pay collector prices for it either.

Good enough for me: she's in the glass case in the family room with the first-year production (1905) M1903 Rifle that apparently went back to Springfield right after WW1. I could maybe find an early M1903 stock, but feel this is a more honest rifle as it is. She was probably thru the arsenal a couple of times as she was originally chambered in .30-'03, not .30-'06.

I just like military weapons to have some stories to tell, not be unused or carried by REMFs. Would mine lie? Do any old soldiers lie? :biglaugh:

-- Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts