1911Forum banner

Colt 1911, 1913 manufacture with mis-matched slide

342 11
Hi all,

I have a Colt 1911, serial No456XX, that passed from my uncle to my father and then me. I grew up shooting this thing but it's been in the safe for twenty years now. The slide does not have the rampant colt behind the serrations and the stamping on the sides places it as a later manufacture. That being said the fit and function are fine and the finishes on both, while showing some wear, are not different. I would imagine that somewhere in it's life it was refurbed with a different slide. I also imagine this would be fairly common but as I look around I don't see any 1911s mis-matched like this. Is it rare or common for this to occur?

Thanks for any comments,

Wayne
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,907 Posts
If you can show us some photos, it would help to identify originality. It was not uncommon as those parts were spec'd to be interchangeable. Lots of 1911 parts got mixed up and reassembled with other guns at unit level cleaning / maintenance parties, and at depot / arsenal level rebuild. GIs and Armorers didn't care which parts go onto which pistol. As long as it fit and function properly afterward, it was good to be issued again.

· Registered
2,015 Posts
Hi all,

I have a Colt 1911, serial No456XX, that passed from my uncle to my father and then me. I grew up shooting this thing but it's been in the safe for twenty years now. The slide does not have the rampant colt behind the serrations and the stamping on the sides places it as a later manufacture. That being said the fit and function are fine and the finishes on both, while showing some wear, are not different. I would imagine that somewhere in it's life it was refurbed with a different slide. I also imagine this would be fairly common but as I look around I don't see any 1911s mis-matched like this. Is it rare or common for this to occur?

Thanks for any comments,

Wayne
surfanarchist,

No 456XX, most likely, would Not have shipped with a Slide with the rampant COLT Behind the serrations.

Here's a high condition, original 1918 M1911 close to No 456XX. (Your Pistol should look just like this one.)

Best Regards,
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Administrator
80,882 Posts
Stan2, he said No 456XX, not No 456XXX. His frame is 1913 vintage.

In military use small arms got their parts mixed up quite frequently. It could have been as simple as a bunch of guns getting cleaned together inside a squad tent, or it could have gone to an arsenal to get repaired.

Reactions: stan2

· Registered
2,015 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for any comments,

Wayne
surfanarchist,

(Just overlook post # 3 :oops:.)

It Is Common for your Pistol to be mismatched !

And, yes, show us some pictures of your Pistol ??

If you do not know, No 456XX, is one of 750 (45001 - 45750) Pistols shipped on 6 Sep 1913 to the Springfield Armory, Massachusetts.

Best Regards,

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll post some pics but it might be a couple of days. If you take the slide from post 3 and put it on the frame from post 7 that's it. I don't shoot this pistol anymore. Last time I fired it was around 1988. I have other, modern, 1911's to shoot. But I'd feel comfortable firing some cast lead SWC over about 5 grains of Tight Group. I shoot that load a lot and it's accurate and very light recoil. When my dad was alive we shot the hell out of that pistol with commercial hardball ammo. Frankly we didn't know any better. Pre internet you know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts