1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just picked up this WW1 Colt 1911 from 1916. It’s in pretty good shape it’s all original except for the back strap and the grips and the finish is original. It seems to be one of the WE Strong inspected as the barrel receiver and slide are all marked with the S. Any idea of the value on this gun as I’m new to ww1 1911 collecting.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
It went through a re-arsenal (or someone made some changes after it got out of the military) - the mainspring housing and grip safety are "incorrect"; they are not what the gun was manufactured/shipped with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take some detailed photos of the barrel. Is there any markings on the top of barrel, on the hood.? If it’s marked with an S only, you may have a rarer Springfield barrel installed, which would increase the value.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
HS means the barrel was made by High Standard during WW2. Unfortunately your pistol is mostly a parts gun from different eras. Unfortunately the finish isn't original either as it left the factory with a distinctive brushed blue finish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
idk what the finish is then as it’s not parkerized like they were in ww2 and what kind of value would you put on it as the frame and the slide are still matching and are very rare

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
It's blued, but it's a decades-old refinish. The surfaces are polished, while originally they had a brushed finish. Pistols in this sort of condition generally sell for around $1100 or so. The WE Strong marks on the frame and slide make for a good conversation starter, but those alone don't significantly increase the value, and generally a pistol has to still be in completely unaltered condition to be worth the big bucks anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah normally would agree but every 1916 I’ve seen sell sell for at least 2000 no matter the condition and the S marked one go for around 5k Plus regularly

·
Registered
52 Posts
here is a 1918 Colt I recently posted in a string.

and a reblue that was done a long time ago, all original parts - but like yours clearly buffed and reblued. this was sold as a "original finish" but was discussed here on the board too. You cna really tell for the rounded edges on the slide and removal of machine marks visible in the above pistol -

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Nice pistol but was refinished, and as others pointed out some of its parts are not original.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve already ordered the original time period parts to replace it and put it back to original configuration and the gun definitely has not been reblued all the wear marks add up perfectly as they should with a time period finish and the wear from a holster and you can even see some of the brush marks if you look closely

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Alan, understand that we're not here to offend you or trash-talk your pistol. But you obviously came here asking for an evaluation of your pistol, and you got it. Good luck with your pistol, whatever you choose to do with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And I really appreciate the help on the pieces that were replaced I had no idea they were but the finish was never re finished it looks like the original finish just worn is all

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
If the metal surface was worn to that degree there would be no bluing left on it. No offense, but you said you're new to WW1 1911 collecting and I was hoping you'd listen to those of us who've been doing this for 20 years or more. Again we're not trying to berate your pistol.

BTW this might help a little. The below pistol is a 1916 and has its original finish. Note the brushed surface finish and sharp edges, and especially the vertical sanding lines on the grip up towards the magazine catch.

Image courtesy pre98.com

Reactions: stan2

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Alan00711,

And, here's another one, No 1353XX, (old pics on file) that is believed to be all Original. Many of the 1916 M1911 Pistols had uniquely marked (and different in the 1916 M1911 group,...maybe 3,4, or 5 different markings ?) barrels. The Barrel pictured below (Original to the Pistol pictured) is just one of those versions.

Best Regards,

1916 M1911 c 020-3.jpg

1916 M1911 c 012-3.jpg

frontier SS, 1912 080-2.jpg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts