1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please tell or show me the correct markings on a 1951 Colt 1911a1 Commercial magazine? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Hope these pics help. Markings on commercial magazines for Colt Government Models look like these. They were so marked from 1947 to 1960. Also there is supposed to be a 'period' after the word 'AUTO.' They're hard to discern in the pics.

Mag from 1956 GM

Mag from 1957 GCNM

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Thank you. This helps. Looks like the lettering is not elongated like in earlier versions.
No problem. The "squashed-O" marking is found on commercial magazines from 1933 to 1942. You will also find USGI pistols with these magazines that were transferred from commercial to military for WWII use. The transferred magazines had parkerized bottoms versus the full-blued commercial magazines. Here are some pics for your reference.

Commercial magazine (came from my 1934 GM)

Commercial magazine tranferred for military use (came with my 1943 USGI Colt)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a variation with a decimal point in front of the 45 as well as a period behind the "AUTO"? Thanks for the pictures. High quality

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've also observed a more "square" style font w at least some early 1950s magazines; possibly up thru 1955.

Several yrs ago a couple hundred (?) pistols came on the market purchased by the State of Connecticut in the early 1950s; 1951 I believe. I asked ~10 buyers of these pistols about magazine marks and all that replied (~6) stated two dot (decimal and period) nomenclature but I never recd any photos.

The books say two dot magazines started in the 1960s but I think earlier in at least some cases. Also possible some magazines replaced by dealers, I suppose.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okay. Now I'm seeing a magazine for sale with the decimal point and no period. Is this a legitimate variation? Something tells me it's not, as most I've seen that are correct always have the period, but I don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Post #21 in the thread shows the style you need.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=427241
Thank you for the link.

I read every post. Looks like the decimal without the period is not Colt. Some of the threads had the square period as postwar. Some had the square decimal and square period. The 1951 Colt Commercial, which is the one I'm primarily interested in, looks like, according to the stacked picture had both round decimal and period. I may be either confused or wrong.:confused:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Colt shipped decimal pt only magazines but much later than 1951. Square dots on earlier magazines and round on later most generally. Light strikes might not show a dot on either or both ends clearly. I'd say a magazine like the 1951 GM shown in the stacked photo a safe bet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts