1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pistol is a Colt 1911 commercial model manufactured in 1918, so it has a few miles on. I shoot factory hardball always. The problem is that the slide sometimes binds up for no apparent reason. Magazine in or out makes no difference. Only happens when the slide is racked by hand. I think it has something to do with the slide stop. There is some peening on the slide at the stop notch and at the other little notch behind it. I am considering stoning the slide stop corners to round them a little. They are pretty squared off. My other pistol's slide stop (systema) has a more rounded shape. Any of you guys had this happen to you and do you have any wisdom for me?

·
Registered
21,917 Posts
I suggest you think very hard before you start filing on a 1918 Commercial. Those things are Valuable.
I would take a nice gun that was behaving strangely to my conscientious gunsmith but then I am NRA Mechanically Inept. In fact I will Monday.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The slide stop's corners are probably not the problem anyhow. That 'little notch' behind the slide stop notch is the takedown notch. It's possible that the pistol may have worn to the point that the slide stop lug is able to slip beneath the bottom of the slide rail and move to the left enough to bind up. You may even be inadvertently be pushing the slide stop to the left (if you use a 2-hand hold) and causing it to slip beneath and bind. There are other causes as well, but this is the first pair I'd check for.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1911 colt commercial continued

Yep, the slide stop moves enough to the left and locks up the pistol at the takedown notch. I don't push on it when shooting, only when pulling back on the slide to feed or unload a round. By easing the slide back and pushing the slide stop back in, the slide releases. Any opinions on what, if anything, can be done to fix this? Why do you think the slide stop is peening the forward (toward muzzle) edges both of the notchs? Thanks you fellas very much for the help. I would hate to think of retiring this pistol. I doubt I put more than 200 rounds a year through it.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
You didn't say whether you're using a two-hand hold. If you are, grip the piece and look on the right side to see what your fingers are doing. Quite often guys will touch the end of the slide stop pin and push it to the left and not even be aware of it.
It sounds like the slide stop is worn too much anyhow if it's slipping beneath the slide rail.

Bob

·
Registered
329 Posts
One thing you might want to check.

I know someone who had a similar problem and it was excessive wear
on the barrel link. Once a new link was installed, his problem was solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts