1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt 1911 Serial #2600XX that is stamped "United States Property" on the left side of the frame and "Model Of 1911 U.S. Army" on the right side of the slide. I has some minor pitting, very minor. It funtions flawlessly.... Shoots a bit low, but chews through ammo with no problem. I would like to get a guess as to how much it might be worth. I can provide addition detials if needed. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Deuce

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Welcome aboard! This question/post really should be under the USGI heading, http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30 , where there's more experts hanging out. But I CAN tell you that lots of good quality photos linked to a photo hosting site like Photobucket will be a BIG help!

There's soooo many variables to consider, but don't ask ME the details. I just read about 'em here, and I'm amazed at the little things guys look for, like the right kind of checkering (or not) on certain parts, and certain stamp marks, or the way something's cut. Even how parts have been wearing against each other, to tell if they're originals or replacements.

There's a lot of guys here that I bet could go through a box of misc. 1911 parts and separate them into piles by late Colt, early Colt, Remington Rand, Ithaca, High Standard, US&S, etc. The most I've learned about 1911's here and another site, is that I really don't know anything about them!

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Military Colt discussion belongs in the USGI sub-forum. There is no way of placing value unless a better description can be made or photos provided. 1917-1918 military Colts can be worth from a low of $400 to $3000 or more depending on originality and overall condition.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I guess I need to learn a lot about these Property of US Govt guns quickly...I came across what "appears" to be a great original condition Reminton Rand for $1000 today. Of course I didn`t write anything down as to numbers and markings, nor did I have a camera with me. Since I know nothing of what I`m looking for, I had to pass for today, especially since my available funds are MUCH LESS than that at the moment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Now is the time to learn; then buy later.

Now is the time to learn; then buy later.
I strongly agree with you Scott. I have done both. A little research and a big buy. Result, a nice but mismatched RR. The mismatch was a great receiver, but newer slide. I learn everyday from this forum and Clawson's books. I got the books from Karl, on this site. He also has a CD with great pictures. After a lot of research and passing many, many guns, I found a great 1944 US Property whith all original parts, soon to be posted. Learn first, buy later. I aslo learned to carry a magnifying glass and a maglite. Lots and lots of " I was told this 45 belonged to a General, but I don't know much about it...", but they sure know how much to charge.:biglaugh:

Cheers,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts