1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need purchase advice 1911

Looking to buy a US Property 1911. I'm still learning as much as possible. One seller sent me these picts. Does it look buffed?
I need to see it in person, if refinished, but all else is original, any ballpark value opinions appreciated.

Another seller with another 1911. Remington Frame, Colt slide. Any information on this one would be great as well.
Both of these sellers are looking for me to help set a price, which i am not qualified to do. Opinions welcome.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
First is a refinish. 2nd pics are poor. first is about 600 max. 2nd might be a better shot, looks like orig finish, once you get the xtras off! maybe 750.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Both refinished. First one horribly over buffed. Second one MAY be a arsenal refinish, some wear spots look like they were touched up with bluing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, debating whether to spennd big dollars for a original, or go with something like these for a shooter with history.
The second one interests me if the Remington frame and Colt slide were combined by a arsenal, but he sent me other pictures showing 2 33 rd extended mags as well. Makes me worry about abuse.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
As mentioned, the blued one is refinished. The parkerized one is also refinished but could have some value. We need better pictures to know. If the serial number is still strong and legit from a Remington UMC pistol, I would get USGI grips from WW2 and call it worth buying. If not a legit rebuild, $500. If legit, twice that.

Since neither are heat treated and WW1 era metal, neither are good choices for a lot of shooting.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You would do well to spend your money on a modern shooter and save your money for a nice collectable. You would be hard pressed to find both in one pistol

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
The temptation to have a shooter "with history" is always there, but like the others said you simply won't get the mileage out of an old shooter-grade piece like you would a modern 1911. Something like an Auto-Ordnance 1911-A1 or one of Springfield's earlier "WW2 GI" models will give you all the look and feel of a USGI .45 without any concern about finding peened locking lugs or a hairline crack someday.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hmm....a Turnbull for two grand plus or an AO or Springfield shooter for <$500...not a real hard choice for me. If I save two grand, I'll go for an original USGI any day...

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Forget both of these and get a Turnbull retro model. Old school awesome
Or find a Colt WW1 Reissue for around a grand and save a grand. Plus, it was actually made by the company that originally made them and are still making GI [Marine] 1911A1s today.

I've handled some of the Turnbulls, they are nice but I'll take my Carbonia WW1 Colts that originally cost around $800 any day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Historical Shooter

I found a "shooter with history" for about $1,000 with a new barrel and some small parts. I think it was worth the money, yes there is the chance that it will break, but I found a post war slide for cheap to use if that happens. I love taking it to the range and showing it off.

There are plenty of posters that say to just save the money and get a modern look-alike, but those don't have the same appeal for everyone. If you want an actual historical shooter they are out there. They just come with a slightly higher price tag and have some potentially higher risks, but if it's worth it to you then go for it! I don't regret it.

Back to original post, I personally would pass on the first one, but with all the "extras" on the second one i would offer $500 and hope to pay around $800. Finding replacement parts can be done for fairly cheap

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
The indoor range I go to I doubt anybody there this past week knows the difference between a USGI 1911A1, a Series 80 or a Rock Island.

Most people there including Veterans usually say, "nice Army 45".

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's too bad, I've had people ask about my pistol, not a multitude, but enough for me to have made note of it, possibly because it really "looks old". Now, could I have a modern look alike and have people still ask about it? Probably. Could I just say it was a USGI? Sure, but for some people there is just something unique about firing something genuinely used in such a significant point in history that a modern arm will not satisfy. Maybe it's because I'm relatively young, but historical guns let me experience parts of history I will only ever read about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts