1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted a used 1911A1 at a dealer today. Actually it's VERY used, finish completely worn off front strap and grip safety, lots of scratches under slide stop, generally shows lots of wear at places you'd expect on a gun that's been shot and taken down a lot. Also doesn't lock back with mag in place. Slide is medium tight on frame. I didn't look at it more closely but now I'm thinking maybe it'd be okay as a base for a DIY project. I'd be replacing most of the bits and refinishing it anyway. The kicker is the guy's asking $499 which I think is way out of line. I'm going to go back for a closer look, ask to strip it, etc. Assuming the frame and slide aren't cracked and the pin holes are'nt munged, what do you guys think would be a reasonable price for this old gal?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
73,796 Posts
If it's mechanically 100%, $499 isn't unreasonable for a WW2 Colt. If on the other hand it has major problems then it's a $250-$300 parts gun.

·
Administrator
73,796 Posts
I guess I forgot to ask. It IS a WW2 Colt, right? If it's a commercial model I personally wouldn't pay $500 for a beater.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by dsk:
I guess I forgot to ask. It IS a WW2 Colt, right? If it's a commercial model I personally wouldn't pay $500 for a beater.
I should have made it clear. Not WW2, which is why I questioned $499. I'm thinking more like $350 if at all, but that's probably too far from the asking price.

·
Administrator
73,796 Posts
You're not talking about the Series 70 over at DJ's in Bothell, are you? If so I'd definitely pass.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like a $350. max pistol to me

------------------
"Always place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark"
Lazarus Long

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sounds a little steep to me - $250 to $350 depending on the work you have to put into it.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
If its not in good shape and needs to be rebuilt its only a shooter. Even a 1912 I would'nt pay more than say $1500 for one in the first 500. Anything else in that condition maybe $300. But if its a Singer I would pay $900 or so for a beater. Yeah haha

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by Redzone:
If its not in good shape and needs to be rebuilt its only a shooter. Even a 1912 I would'nt pay more than say $1500 for one in the first 500. Anything else in that condition maybe $300.
We had 1911, S# was 28XX or thereabouts. Slide was an A1, and it had been badly refinished. Woulda made a neat gun to fix up, but then figured everyone would look at the (previously ruined) gun I built up and think me the idiot for ruining it :)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Len

Unless you get this one for a real bargain, I suggest you pass on it. Particularly since you want a project gun. If you look around you can find new Colt 1991's and Springfield Loaded models in the $500 to $550 range. In my mind it is better to start a project with something that has a known pedigree than someone elses problems. For stores, try WSI in Bellevue, or Bulls Eye in Tacoma.

I hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts