1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK...I am not finding any information online that can tell me what the MRT stamp represents on my Colt 1911A1.

These letters are clearly stamped where the standard inspectors marking is usually at on the left side of the gun.

I see NO arsenal rework stamps on this weapon.

I purchased this gun several years back when living in Western Washington.

Can anyone shed a light on this for me?

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Interesting! I have holsters marked with 'MRT' for mildew resistant treatment. But never seen a pistol with that marking. Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Let's see a photo. I have seen rifles stamped "MR" for Mount Rainier arsenal, but never a pistol in the location you are describing.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Please post a picture.

·
Registered
758 Posts
This thread is useless without pictures.

·
Registered
939 Posts
MRT stamped on leather items = Mildew Resistant Treatment and usually also has a date stamp. I have seen variation of a stamp on several of the 1911s at my old military unit which I interpret to represent some type of Magnetic Resonance Testing? (Magnetic Particle Inspection is common terminology, or some variation thereof. Xray radiography is also common) to inspect for cracks. These types of testing are very common in industry and perhaps it has been applied to some military guns. My helicopter maintenance buddies use MPI. Since the issue of softer slides from the WW2 era is well known, its possible DOD was trying to get ahead of potential problems and weed out slides with microscopic cracks.
The stamps I have seen include: "M + B" and "M 1.13" or just "M".
Over a nearly 15 year period at my old unit, I observed a grand total of one slide crack (I have posted the photo several times) on a Type 3(IIRC) RemRand. Now I certainly did not have visibility over the entire inventory over the years, and I did observe at least several sections have major rebuild work done by various elements and this included either replacing slides to recent MFG and/or Caspian slides. However, what is known is that my unit was known to heavily use their 1911s and despite being WW2 MFG (and including two WW1 vintage pistols!) they have held up and continued to function. Round counts? I estimate in the thousands per year per gun at times; my section certainly did so. I have posted before where I compiled a sample list of approximately 1/3rd of pistols at my unit and about 50% of them have had their WW2 slides replaced to recent MFG. In other words, 1911 slides are a coin flip for replacement and frames seem to keep on trucking. I would say Uncle Sam got his money's worth out of this contract and if you have a shooter grade pistol, its likely to keep going just fine IMHO.

·
Premium Member
15,876 Posts
The POSSIBILITY that a slide can crack is why we recommend that the non-hardened and spot-hardened slides not be fired. This, while not particularly dangerous to the shooter, does destroy the value of an original pistol. Even if the only damage is a lost front sight, which is fairly common, this is not a minor problem since the sights are very rare and even if you can find one, its likely that it cannot be installed without leaving evidence, which would be detrimental to value.
Over the years, numerous examples of cracked slides have been posted on this forum so the extrapolation suggests many more were not reported here. Plus, with a really nice pistol, you not only risk losing the original slide, you are putting wear on the gun with every shot which erodes its value over time.
So, if none of this matters to you, shoot it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will post photos later today......
The email address I had listed on this forum was an old email and not valid so I did not get the notifications on this thread.....it has been corrected.....sorry for the delay!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Never heard nor seen any frame marked MRT.

·
Premium Member
15,876 Posts
Hand-done after leaving factory. Probably somebody's initials but I'm wondering where the inspector's mark went?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hand-done after leaving factory. Probably somebody's initials but I'm wondering where the inspector's mark went?
If there were other inspector markings on it I might tend to agree with you, but there are not......so I would not be too quick to discount this as being done after it left the factory.

Would love to hear other opinions.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I couldn't see a ordnance stamp on the right side.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The MRT was hand stamped with individual stamps, grips off, the inspector stamps were a single stamp with all letters on the same stamp. Does the P on the frame match the P on the slide ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I purchased this one when I lived in the Seattle area and I was thinking the same thing......but I am not sure if there was a Mount Rainier Arsenal and if so what does the "T" stand for?? I will post more pics shortly to show all markings on the frame.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Additional Photos.....

Here are a few more photos......I see no other markings on the grip frame with the grip panels removed. Here is also a photo of the "P" on top of the slide and a clear photo of the S/N which is absolutely positively in the S/N range for the Colt's that were produced.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts