1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
On page 23 in his 3rd volume, "U.S. Military Automatic Pistols, 1945-2012", Meadows shows a Mount Rainier arsenal rework with the letters MR, about the same size, individually stamped in the same orientation on the right side of the receiver, exactly opposite the MRT shown above.
I'm leaning toward Mount Rainier arsenal rework.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Yes there was a Mt. Rainier arsenal located near Ft Lewis.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
If this is a Mount Rainier Arsenal rebuild where is the original inspector stamp??
I would think that it would have still been there, and the MRT would have been stamped elsewhere on the gun??

·
Registered
518 Posts
Might be a lunchbox gun with someone's initials. This would explain the lack of GHD and Ord mark.

I've seen Mount Rainier arsenal marked guns, but never marked MRT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Looks like I am seeing a Partly faint crooked H on to left of R or am I wrong? It may have been touched up with same color in the area after restamp?
Looking closely with strong magnification I am not seeing what you are describing. I would think that the original inspector stamp (if this is not it) would have still been present and if Mount Rainier Arsenal did a rebuild they would have stamped in another location.

Sure would be nice to get this figured out!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I sold an Ithaca 1911a1 a number of years back that was stamped "MRM" along side the grip panel. I finally came to the conclusion that it must have had something to do with the Mount Rainier arsenal. Looks to be the same font as yours, just stamped in a different location. No real idea what the stamp was though..........

·
Premium Member
15,871 Posts
I forgot about MRA. This could well be 'MR' and inspector 'T'. Unusual but not impossible. Maybe they stamped it at that location because the 'GHD' had been lost in refinishing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
So someone lunchboxed a serialized pistol ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yep. There are many instances of this. Scott G has a late 1945 Colt on his site that is missing the JSB, that was likely a lunchbox. See pistol 2366848. Colt has no shipping records for that gun, yet there it is. Perfectly plausible with this gun too.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Yep. There are many instances of this. Scott G has a late 1945 Colt on his site that is missing the JSB, that was likely a lunchbox. See pistol 2366848. Colt has no shipping records for that gun, yet there it is. Perfectly plausible with this gun too.
Didn't know that , I wonder if there is a record for this one ?

Paging Joe Holden

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I was asked by another member if this Colt has the crossed cannon Ordnance Department inspection stamp on the right side of the grip frame and it does NOT.
I see this stamp on the Rem-Rand, Ithaca and other 1911A1's that I have owned, but noting on this Colt.
Not sure if that is of importance or not??

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Recently I've found and interesting REMRAND Type III frame with a Type II slide and the Mount Rainer Arsenal stamp on the receiver.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I was asked by another member if this Colt has the crossed cannon Ordnance Department inspection stamp on the right side of the grip frame and it does NOT.
I see this stamp on the Rem-Rand, Ithaca and other 1911A1's that I have owned, but noting on this Colt.
Not sure if that is of importance or not??
I would call Colt and ask them to run the S/N.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The MRT on mine is certainly nothing like the MR shown in your photo AND it's placed where the normal inspector marking should be on the left side.....I may try to contact Colt directly to see if they have the SN in their records.
This gun has several other markings on each side of the trigger guard and has the correct P marked on the frame and slide. Seems strange that no one else has seen these initials on other weapons??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Maybe it was a rejected receiver that was repaired at Colt and shipped anyway with out the ordnance acceptance or inspectors mark and was later rebuilt at Mount Rainier? The lunch box theory with the initials of the owner made to appear like a inspectors initials is plausible too.

·
Premium Member
15,871 Posts
I don't think its possible to definitely say what it is without a hand's-on forensic examination. Mainly you would be looking for traces of the Ordnance stamp and the inspector's initials and/or evidence in the steel of them having been removed. If they truly were never there, the 'lunchbox' theory gains credibility. The 'MRT' remains puzzling. Maybe someone like Scott Gahimer would have an idea. Because of it's location on the frame, I still don't think it was a U.S. mark.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts