1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The value is not a concern of mine as much is putting a positive ID on this I’ve reached out to some of the experts who have written books on the stuff to hopefully find out a bit more.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The only way to know what Colt has in their records would be to formally request a letter. They have to dig thru the archives for info on a particular serial number. Its not info they have at their fingertips and give out over the phone for no fee.

·
Premium Member
15,871 Posts
The value is not a concern of mine as much is putting a positive ID on this I’ve reached out to some of the experts who have written books on the stuff to hopefully find out a bit more.
Please let us know if you find out anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wanted to revive this thread in hopes that new information may have surfaced about the MRT mark. I just got this RR in and luckily noticed that it has the same MRT stamp that the OP mentioned. Seller didn't mention these marks (probably didn't see them - I barely saw them as well) and now I am not sure what to do. I am in the first day of my inspection period and need to decide whether to send it back or not. Gun looks legit with the exception of the barrel (HS marked but I don't believe original to the piece). I'm just afraid that this is a $1,000 arsenal rebuild. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
15,871 Posts
Just curious, since these came with HS barrels, why would you think it is wrong for this example? Otherwise, with it also having the 'MRT', it definitely casts a new light on the question.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Other than the MRT mark, the pistol appears original and correct to me. December 1944 shipped, Blanchard marks on the slide, ordnance stamp crisp, no evidence of refinish. The MRT marking suggests Mt Rainier Arsenal but that's not definitively proven. Mount Rainier (MR) is the traditionally accepted marking.
On the other hand, LE is the accepted arsenal mark for Letterkenny Arsenal but we see LEAD all the time on some of the recently released CMP rebuilds. Perhaps the arsenals deviated from the norm more than we know.
The pistol you have may have been refreshed, a pass through pistol, but I seriously doubt it is a rebuild. The MRT marking remains a mystery. But I'll go out on a limb and suggest that MRT might stand for Mount Rainier Tacoma.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just curious, since these came with HS barrels, why would you think it is wrong for this example? Otherwise, with it also having the 'MRT', it definitely casts a new light on the question.
I didn't say it was "wrong", I said that it is not likely original to the piece as the wear patterns do not match.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I’ve seen the same initials on leather M1 Garand slings and holsters. While I was on Active Duty early in my career I remember seen those initials on other equipment as well.

But I agree with Joe, I think it came from Mt Rainer Arsenal near Ft. Lewis Tacoma Washington.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My guess would be Mt Rainer Arsenal, (MR) the (T) being the initial of the inspector, might be worth a look to see if there is a list of inspector for Mt Rainer, might give you a time period

·
Administrator
74,363 Posts
Technically an arsenal mark degrades the value slightly, but in this case I doubt it as they're subtle and the pistol itself doesn't appear to have been reworked.

·
Premium Member
15,871 Posts
The main thing is, 'MR' on other pistols is in one of the approved locations - around the trigger on either side of the frame. It looks like the different arsenals may have been assigned locations for their marks. 'AA' seems to always be on the LH side and most others on the RH side. The RH side can get crowded with the regular markings plus one or two arsenals and maybe a conversion to NM by SA. Letterkenny was much later than most of the others and did not have the hand stamp dies so they just picked the RH frame extension and used an electropencil. I guess since we now know of two 'MRTs', maybe this was another very late marking, well past the time when anybody really cared where the markings went, and very well could be 'Mount Rainier', Inspector T'. Either that or some 90-day wonder got real persnickety with the mildew and rot treatment!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hello all, still hoping that someone out there can help identify the MRT inspector marking on these 1911A1's
So a bump to the top for fresh eyes.....

·
Administrator
74,363 Posts
Karl Karash has documented at least a couple late-war Colt pistols that completely missed having the Ordnance inspector's initials placed on them. I suspect it's something like that, in which case at a later date during refurb/inspection at an arsenal somebody decided that spot would be a convenient place to stamp the MRT marking. If the frame was refinished then it's also possible the original inspector's stamps could have been sanded off, since they were often very lightly struck to begin with. At least that's the most educated guess I can give you.

One thing I can say with a fair degree of certainty though... there was no Ordnance Dept. inspector with the initials MRT. If there was he'd have had a proper set of dies made up with his initials, and not had subordinates crudely stamp his initials into each gun one letter at a time. Also we would know something about him... after all, you don't get a job that important without there being some sort of public record of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thank you for the insight, that could possibly be the explanation, the pistol serial number puts it in the 1944 production year......here are more photos.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts