1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
79,298 Posts
Nice piece. The O1911 and O1918 were one of Colt's better ideas in the 2000s. It's a shame they only made them in a limited number. BTW you might want to try taking some pics in outdoor light, as yours are way too dark to see any detail.

BTW here is mine, also an O1918. I bought it in 2009 with inheritance money after my dad had passed away. Over the years I replaced the slide stop with one that was a little more authentic, and then later a gracious forum member gifted me the grips made from the original teak deck of the battleship USS North Carolina when she was last restored.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Administrator
79,298 Posts
Yes it was part of the recall, and I pointed it out to the gun shop when I first saw it. They immediately shipped it back and got it fixed. As soon as it was back on the shelf I bought it.

BTW when Colt does the repair they will stamp a "1" underneath the slide. Check to see if yours has it, just in case it has already been done.
Circuit component Automotive tire Office supplies Gas Electronic component

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it was part of the recall, and I pointed it out to the gun shop when I first saw it. They immediately shipped it back and got it fixed. As soon as it was back on the shelf I bought it.

BTW when Colt does the repair they will stamp a "1" underneath the slide. Check to see if yours has it, just in case it has already been done.
View attachment 646285
I called Colt and they checked their records and said it has not been done.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took my Colt to the gunsmith today and had the slide lock safety (thumb safety) fitted. I sat and watched him do it with filing and stoning until it was right (about a half hour). Colt would have had it around 6 weeks. Now it's range ready if it would only cool off some.

·
Administrator
79,298 Posts
The first model was the O1911 in Carbonia blue finish, produced roughly between 2004-2007 IIRC. Serial numbers ended with WMK. The O1918 was a standard blue (aka Black Oxide) finish, SN ending in WW1, and was produced roughly 2008-2010. The last ones were the 100-year anniversary models. There were three tiers, an ANVI (highly engraved and gold inlayed, only a few made and sold at auction), the ANVII (moderately engraved, limited edition) and the ANVIII (the most-produced variation of all the WW1 replicas, as shown by klind45's example above).

More recently there was also a quasi-1911 replica, the O1911M which was a limited edition of 750 units. I have one as shown below, which is stock except for the trigger, hammer and grips (replaced to make it look more true to the originals). It has a sandblasted matte blue finish which gives it the appearance of a WW2-era arsenal rebuild.
Hand Wood Air gun Bullet Ammunition

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Colt ANVIII. It comes wrapped in wax paper and all. It has the old style Circle Horsey, plus the rough polishing to resemble the Black Army finish.

I think that the bluing was charcoal blued instead of chemical blued. Colt didn’t say but I recalled reading somewhere on the “internet” that the finish was charcoal blued.

It also shoots a lot better then it looks. It out groups the Turnbull Cabela M1911 limited edition. Not as pretty but definitely shoots tighter group.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took my Colt 1918 shooting yesterday with pleasant weather for a change. It shot very well with no malfunctions (50 rounds of Sig 230gr ball), 7 to 10 yards. Fun too shoot even with the tiny sights.o_O Wife's red nail polish on the front sight helped. I like to shoot standing strong hand only (duelist style). Right hand extended left hand on the hip. The Colt has a decent trigger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts