1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first 1911 was a plain Springfield GI model. After shooting it I thought I "needed" more, different hammer, night sights, beaver tail, bobtail...... :rolleyes:
Well, you get the story. Fast forward to present. Now I'm all about basic.
Now here's my idea of all I need.

This was found at local pawn shop in dire need of cleaning and grip replacement.
I also gave it a soft matte bead blast. The dark sandblasted finish didn't appeal to me. So far it has functioned flawlessly with anything I tried in it. I almost bought a Ruger because it was NIB and $50 cheaper. But, in the end it was not a Colt. :D

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
There's a certain sense of relief and satisfaction when you get your first Colt... Nice pistol.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've got a twin to that one. It's mostly stock (except for a short Colt trigger and an Ed Brown arched MSH.) One of my favorite pistols.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
dbracin, Very Nice! I had more than one of the matte blue 1991A1s, but that very coarse factory sandblast finish kept me from buying the stainless version. The fine beadblast you used is much nicer than the coarse factory finish IMHO. Looks brand new too. I may be a little biased about the fine beadblast finish as I've done some of my guns with a similar fine beadblast over the years. I've mostly used the Brownells 270+ glass beads @ ~65 psi. The results look very similar to yours...

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
The first 1911 I wanted to buy was a Colt M1991A1 Stainless. For some reason it spoke to me. However, I was not able to buy one due to lack of funds. I spent all of the 1990s in high school and then college. By the time I graduated college I couldn't find a Colt in the area I moved to, which was Tacoma, WA. So I ended up buying a Kimber Classic Stainless from Welcher's Gun Shop on Pacific Avenue. I still have the hankering for the Colt stainless M1991A1 even though I own many other Colts now.

·
Administrator
74,042 Posts
Very nice. It looks like that one was satin bead blasted at one point, which dramatically improves the appearance. The silver medallion grips are an excellent touch as well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
NOTHING at all wrong with a basic GM. Yours is a VERY nice looking 1991 imo. I like them blue, stainless matte and a tad blasted like you've done. Looks like a great hard chrome job.

I have an almost bone stock S70 stainless pistol that, like yours, gobbles any load I've shoved up the shoot and other than trimming the hammer a tad and changing to a single tritium dot front sight, is my EDC for years.

About to go with a LW OACP that I'm still working on putting the requisite rounds thru to confirm reliability but I'll ALWAYS own that Colt GM.

Thanks for sharing your pics. NICE roscoe. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
what is the difference between the 1911 and the 1991 's , i dont want to know which is better , i'll decide that myself , just want the differences in them

·
Administrator
74,042 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts