1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide which model to go with. It will be stainless steel and will be my customized "dream gun" at some point. I own Pistols from the "Big Three" as I call Them. Colt, Springfield & Kimber. I like all three of the manufacturers and have had problems with all three of them as well. After much thought and consideration I have decided that my next project will be based on a Colt. I don't care for the 80 series pistols as much as the 70 series but where I live you just don't find used 70 series Colt's in nice condition. Anyway like I said I've deciced on a 1991 stainless but I can't make up my mind if I want a standard or Commander length pistol. All the .45's I have owned and currently own are full size. The pistol will be used primarily for IDPA competition but I wouldn't mind it as a carry gun once in a while. I am leaning towards the Commander but I would appreciate any input my fellow members may have. Thank you in advance for your comments.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Well, it sounds like a Commander is missing from your "Stable". If you have Government models already, then you should consider adding a Commander.

While using it for IDPA could be worthwile, there is nothing wrong with the Full Size either.

For CCW, I like the Commander, less weight, easier to conceal in some situations, no different in others... Just depends on whether you go IWB, or OWB.

I have always tried to keep at least 1 Commander in the safe, they have always been my favorite. They just balance better for me, and they seem to get into action slightly quicker as the gun clear's leather sooner.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jaydee. I think you are right. I'm definately leaning towards the Commander. Prices in my area are a little high but there are only 4 or 5 gunshops in my immediate area. $660.00 for either a full length 1991 ss gov't model or Commander. Thanks again.

Shooter Ready?

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I say get both of them! Why have to go through all that stress of making a choice?

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Here's another plug for the Commander. I use them a lot and carried one for many years before I swithced to the Colt Defender. I actually prefer the Commander to the Defender for duty use but the Defender works best for me in plain clothes work.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
All I own now are commander length guns. They do not loose any velocity from full size (with the right loads). I find that commanders are much better balanced in my hand. I can index multiple targets faster, and stop on a dime. As jaydee mentioned, they DO clear leather faster.

Mostly, they just LOOK cool.

·
Registered
164 Posts
While I respect the preferences of others, I’ve never much cared for the shortened gun…… all I have are full-sized guns (all Colts by the way). So, I’d opt for the Government! Especially if you have IDPA competition in mind. I like staying consistent, for handling reasons as well as parts interchangeability (like recoil springs, leather, etc. )

Just my perspective.

[This message has been edited by Roverman (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I see a pattern forming here?
Thanks for all the input guys. I think the writing is on the wall and it says Commander. Thanks again everyone.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would go for the Gov. Model. To me a commander does not make much sense, though that would not stop me from having one. I have had commander length before but always go back to the full size. I carry IWB, am a 6 footer and I weigh about 218 pound so I have no problem with the larger size. The reason that the commander does not make sense to me is that the critical part to concealing IWB, the grip, is the same size. This is the hardest part to conceal because it runs across you body. As I said though I do not dislike commanders, they just don't make a lot of sense to me, just my opinion!

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

1 - 9 of 9 Posts