Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw one of these at a local gunshop...

Am I right that Colt no longer makes a 3.5" compact? The closest I see on their website is the 3" Defender.

What does this gun weigh in an all steel configuration like this? It is blued incidentally.

What is a fair price used but in very good condition?

Anything to watch out for on these?

Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
I think the Officers size guns are more reliable than the Defender.
The front Recoil spring plug tab can break. There are replacements or full guide rod set ups to fix this. go for it!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have one that I like. I need to get it refinished though. The factory finish was not the best. I paid about $550.00 for mine. This should have stayed in production with a few bells and whistles added.

·
Banned
759 Posts
My 1991 compact is nearly as accurate as my fullsize, it is the only compact 45 I've ever been happy with accuracy/reliability wise, I have done some minor tuning on it, but it's mostly box stock.

It will feed hallow points and wadcutters all day, it's totaly reliable, I've never experienced a failure.

The only complaint I have is that it ejects all my brass forward into the shooting lanes at the range instead of backwards like my 1991 fullsize.

·
Registered
282 Posts
it has 2 recoil springs. can i just put 1 or a 16 pound recoil spring on it with a buff?

thanks again.

·
Banned
759 Posts
I don't think a shock buff will work, the slide stroke is shorter and the recoil spring giude shaft is smaller diameter.

They use double springs to manipulate the ratio of spring weight due to the change in slide weight/stroke length. The spring weight goes up the shorter the slide, commanders and officers have increasingly heavier springs.

Officers are usualy 22-24 lb.

You can get good aftermarket springs from Wolf.

·
Administrator
73,384 Posts
Don't resurrect old threads. This one dates back to 2003!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.