1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sounds stupid, but I cannot find the manual for my Colt 1991A1 Commander Stainless Steel which I bought in 1999. I recently bought some Speer Golddot 200gr +P. Is it safe to use this +P ammo in this gun?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Perfectly safe, but a standard-pressure 230-grain load would be a much better choice for a carry load. My experience with 200-grain +P ammo in a commander was that it wore out the recoil spring much faster, which would induce malfunctions. Now this was a stock gun that probably would have benefitted from a good 'smith's attention, but there was no question the springs were wearing out faster. If you must use the 200-grain +P load I'd go with a 20-lb spring and change it often, and realize that a steady diet of this load will accelerate wear on the gun.

·
Administrator
73,466 Posts
Don't shoot +P's in alloy-framed 1911's, or you'll wear out the frame in a hurry. Steel frames are fine, but as the others have said wear will still be accelerated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. some has suggested that I get recoil spring and recoil buffer pad. where can I get those stuff?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Stupid said:
This sounds stupid, but I cannot find the manual for my Colt 1991A1 Commander Stainless Steel which I bought in 1999. I recently bought some Speer Golddot 200gr +P. Is it safe to use this +P ammo in this gun?

I wouldn't bother.

The excess pressure isn't worth it.

You'll beat the weapon to death for what ?? An extra 50 fps ?

You'll get what named "excess frame battering"

You may install an extra power mainspring, but the weapon isn't really designed for that.

+P loads are good out of rifles.

Be nice to your Colt. :) :)

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all about using "+P" or other warm loads for defensive use, and the occasional familiarity check. Just use standard loads for range practice, and you will be fine. I use a Wolff 18.5lb spring for both Double Tap 230gr Gold Dot defensive loads (not technically +P, but warm at 1010fps), and for Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ's, and the weapon cycles perfectly either way. I will say, though, that I change the recoil spring about every 2000 rounds, just to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts