1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a near mint .22 Colt conversion kit, floating chamber, and Accro rear sight, with two magazines and all of the original paper work purchased in 1974. Is there any collector interest in such things? Any opinions as to worth? The set is complete with bushing, ejector, spring, and slide stop.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Go for it if you want to shoot it. Not too accurate, but loads of fun. Use copper plated bullets and leading won't be too bad around floating chamber (clean floating unit often). Other conversions will be more accurate but don't simulate .45 like these do. There is some collector interest but lots were made so they really aren't rare.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
I see them priced in the $350-$450 range, without as much price variation as you'd think, based on age. The '30s versions are more valuable, but not a whole lot. They are a lot of fun.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
nomikes said:
Are you marrying your 2011?
I do "love" my 1911s, but . . .

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are looking for a conversion and in the $450 range, then the Marvel Series 1 is a much better choice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Colt .22 conversion units

I bought my unit off ebay two years ago for $300 and mount it on either an older 70 series frame or-if I want it to look purty-on a 70 repro. It's fairly accurate and occasionally stovepipes the last round in the mag., but I didn't get it for competitive target shooting. I realize the Marvel units are accurate and the Ciener's are trustworthy(even though I read that the owner is a PIA to deal with), but I only want Colt "stuff" on my Colts. I clean the floating chamber with Flitz every 3 mags., then lightly oil with FP-70 and have had no problems with just about any brand of hi-speed copper washed ammo. The supply of the Colt units has seemed to dry up on ebay and even the instruction sheets are bringing good money. I don't think you'd lose by getting one if it pops up somewhere at a reasonable price. -Asa

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I think the interest is shooting not collecting -

So far as I can tell the Service Ace conversions are bought to shoot - the various Ace/Service Ace pistols and especially the truly rare .45 ACP conversion for the .22 pistols are collected - conversion kit prices are in line with nice .22 pistols and I don't see discussion of variations in sights say as affecting value.

Perhaps the price would jump and collectors would take more interest if books on the Ace were more common after the manner of Datig on Luger or perhaps Turner Kirkland on trapdoors.

I have 2 conversion kits to shoot - it's more fun than target pistols (I had 2 S&W Model 41 - lead and reserve for bullseye) when your eyes go weak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts