1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a conversion kit. Most are out of stock with several month backorders, so I've been looking at used ones.

Is a used Colt conversion kit really worth buying to actually shoot and expect any sort of reliability or are they really just bought as collectibles?

Steve

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
I shoot mine. I have learned to live with 99% reliability (usually a stovepipe or two, each range session), which is good enough for what it's for. They are certainly the only conversion that has any collectability.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have two suggestions. If you just want a Colt .22 then get the Colt Conversion. But avoid shooting lead .22 bullets as they shave off minute slivers of lead that can stop your gun from functioning in less than 100 rounds. Use copper plated bullets (such as CCI plated .22 LR Mini-Mags) and also use Break Free CPL gun cleaner/lubricant and get a couple of dental picks to get the accumulated lead/plating off the operating parts. Use the BF to both clean and lubricate your Colt with the Conversion unit. It keeps the gun from jamming and will handle 100s of rounds between cleanings.
On the other hand if you want the most accurate .22 slide for your Colt buy a Jonathan Ciener 1911 Platinum Cup target .22 Conversion (www. 22lrconversions.com) for $249 and you will get a gun that prints sub-1"-1.3" groups at a rest at 25 yards. Its more fun to shoot as it has less recoil than the Colt and has only a little pop noise. Being a blow-back operation the lead bullets don't gum up the operation like they do in the Colt Conversion.
I have both; the Colt Conversion is on a Colt NM frame which also shoots 1.3" groups at 25 yards. I put the Ciener on a 1918 Colt 1911 That I accurized and it is a sweet gun to shoot. I prefer it to the Colt Conversion and it is more accurate. The Ciener Conversion is not neccessarily a smooth drop-in on every 1911/1911A1. I put it on several Colt and one Essex frame and it was too tight on all but the 1918 Colt 1911, which it fit perfectly.
By the way CCI has just developed a new .22 LR 40 grain LRN bullet for semi-auto target guns. It is CCI Select part # 0045. I just bought two boxes (100 per box at about $14 each) but haven't tried them yet. Also check out the Finnish brand LAPUA .22 LR SCOREMAX. A friend gave me a box to try. He uses it in all his .22 rifles and all get single hole groups at 100 yards, shooting at a rest. They are 48 grn LRN bullets.
I would have no problem buying a Colt conversion unit from the internet. I bought mine at a local gun show but I see them everywhere in the $300 and up price range.
Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts