1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may be interesting, maybe not..

I have a nice Colt 22 conversion upper from the 60s or 70s I run on a RIA Lower frame I assembled..I like the .22 Long Rifle conversion alot..But I had a spare .22 conversion barrel and floating chamber here. Along with a .17 caliber liner leftover from another reline project recently..And a 17 HM2 Chamber reamer.

I drilled the spare .22 barrel in my lathe and relined it it to .17 Caliber..Then the floating chamber was placed in the mill..It was reamed out to 5/16ths and the liner put in it..Then the floating chamber was reamed to accommodate the .17HM2 round..

Really a pretty simple process..It works great..Shoots great..If you know a little about the 17 mach II..It had some problems running in early semi autos..I have three Firearms that run 17 Mach II..An old Winchester Winder Musket single shot..A Marlin 717 semi Auto Rifle, and now this 1911....

Never ever a Kaboom, split case or any problems using the recent manufacture .17HM2 ammo..

I have only ran around 225 rounds through this with the 17 Mach II..But it shoots and runs beautifully..I have not one bit of apprehension shooting it with the new production ammo..There is one quirk..It does not run anf feed real well with my original Colt Conversion magazines..But it does run great with my GSG ones I bought to use in it..I like the GSG mags better for shooting .22 Long Rifle also..They feed great..Great quality, and always hold the slide back on the last shot..I cannot say that about the Colts..And the GSGs are a 1/5 the cost of the Colts or less. 20.00 apiece VS 100.00 for the Colts..

I do not encounter the problems I have read about as far as the chamber adapter locking up either..But I only use dry lube on it and a small amount of grease in parts separate from the floating chamber that move..Like the slide...I avoid liquid oil in my rimfires like the plague..All it does is create a instant sludge and slurry mess in any rimfire Firearm..

Anyway..Really a fun little conversion Colt upper that I can go from 22 Long Rifle to .17 HM2 and back with a simple and quick barrel swap out..Possibly I have the only 1911 conversion in .17HM2 that exists,LOL Maybe someone has been crazy enough to have done it..But I have not seen any on the internet yet..

I do have yet another .22 conversion barrel I need to find a Floating Chamber for..All places I have checked so far, no luck..Anyone of the Colt guys here know a parts guy or vendor to check with?

Forgot I am not new here..I lost my account sign in info..So had to get a new account..

Thanks and a pic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just mistakenly bought 2 boxes of .17 mach 2 online. I did a search for .17 mach 2 barrels for 1911 conversions with no luck. I run Kimber conversiins on my full size, and commanders, and Glocks. Wish I could find one.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kimber did make a conversion in .17 Mach II at one time from what I have read..Both in a complete pistol and just an upper conversion..But they were plagued with problems and were discontinued..If you sent it it back to them they would just replace the upper with a standard .22 upper and destroy the .17 Mach II uppers..Mine sure runs great..

Only game in town as far as a 1911 in 17 Mach II is to do like me, make one, or look for an original survivor Kimber and hope to get it to run correctly somehow.

I have a friend that did the same thing with the ammo..He thought he was buying a 1000 rounds 17HMR..So he went out and bought a Rifle in 17 Mach II.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a Kimber on Gunbroker right now in 17 HM2 if you really need one..But they are asking 1200.00, I like mine better as I know it works, and for a lot less money,LOL

But there was one completed that sold for around 1000.00 with several bids, so maybe his price is not too bad:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Checked GB, was unable to find it. What do I need to srnd you to make one, lol!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just type Kimber HM2 in the search and it should come up..I have liner, and I have a chamber reamer..All else needed is a barrel and floating chamber..I actually have a spare barrel here I have listed for sale somewhere else right now..But no spare chamber adapter...I was going to make another barrel conversion, but I got impatient on finding a floating chamber..They do show up for sale on occasion, and I am sure if I checked with some of my parts sources I could find one..

But, always a but..Not 100% sure on the idea of doing this for someone else..It is a very simple process with my mill and lathe..But the problem may be liability towards the end user..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I upped the spring in this a little to more of a stamdard .45 spring 16 pounds I think they were..I may even go up to a 18 pounds and give that a try and see if it stills cycles fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts