1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1911 in 38 super with an interesting problem. It has one of the older barrels in it and shoots fine. I purchased a Sarco 38 super barrel and also a 9mm barrel for it, took it to my gunsmith to have them fitted. The problem is that neither barrel will feed! The nose of the bullet gets caught where the frame ramp meets the barrel ramp. My gunsmith says the fit is perfect, but they won't function. The frame is from a US issue 45acp. But, if the original 38 super barrel feeds, shouldn't the other two?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
This is not the first complaint I have heard about the Sarco barrels having feeding problems. I cant recall what the differences were found to be but hopefully some one here will have the answer for you. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The 45 ramp cut in the frame is .400 ish deep from the rails down. the 9mm 38 super and 10mm 40 ramp are much shallower.
It is not surprizing that the bullet gets stuck on the barrel as it probably hangs out over the edge. Possibly someone cut the old barrel so it did not hang over? Not a great option on a 38 super. (depending on how hot your loads are )

hope this helps
geo ><>

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
George I think the gun is a 38 super, not a 45 frame. If you take the frame and install just the barrel and pin, ypu can check the gap between the frame ramp and the barrel ramp. I believe it should be about 1/32nd of an inch. If its a perfect fit, it will jam. Send it to george, he'll straighten it right out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Send it to George Who and where? I don't really know what's going on, but I've grown quite fond of this caliber. I'm getting a little desperate!

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Dear Desperate

Is There a Local Gunsmith that has a good working knowledge of pistols? take it to him.
if not is there a local match you can attend and take the pistol with you. often you will find Gunsmith's attend matches.
There are many acomplished Smith's that frequent these boards, and come highly recomended.
You mention the frame is US issue 45.
If it is the frame is not intended for super.
it can be welded up a feed ramp can be inserted into your frame or you can go to a ramped barrel all at some or considerable expence.
If you can not find a gunsmith in your area
you can send it to any of the ones on this board. under my profile is a link to my shop.
also if you post a picture of what you are dealing with or can send a picture it would help a lot.
geo ><>

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Here
I lifted this from another post so there is no order to it. I have not been here long enough to know if there is a listing of smith's and there may be a problem with liability or the sight may not want to endorse gunsmith's?
This is not intended as a slight to anyone I missed, I am sure I did! sorry in advance

Bob Hunter
Bob Brazzo
Ned Christianson
Tom Novac
Tim Backus
Allan Winer
Dave Williams
Chuck Rogers
Don Williams
Scott SDM Fabricating
Joe Bonar
Larry Vickers
Richard Heinie
Jim at Les Baer

Help me out guys who did I miss?
I also do not know if these guys work on guns
that are not new? some may not.
hope this helps
geo ><>

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
Translation for those that don't know who George is talking about ---- Bob Brazzo = Bob Londrigan. Hey George put my last name in your spell checker I wouldn't want to be using an alias around here I might get into trouble (oh wait I forgot that's the other place)

------------------
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245
http://www.brazoscustom.com

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sorry George, missed the part about the 45 frame.Norm, you need to have the frame welded up because the ramp is to deep. The smith that fit the barrel originally probably cut the barrel ramp dangerously close to or past the limit. You can also have a ramp installed(very tricky).Do yourself a favor and just box it up and send it to George. He has a very good reputation doing these repairs or you could just buy a new frame.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I always tought it was Bob Brazzo
oh well

thanks Joe.
I was hoping the guy could save a couple thousand dollars on shipping.
and Yes the barrel is probably pretty scary.
good point, new frames for 130.00 ish makes that a good alternative.
geo ><>

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Caspian, Call them and talk to them and they will make everything clear for you. They will make whatever you want with the correct ramp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts