1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to clean my Colt gov. .380 today and when i racked the what i think is the firing pin stop came out.( the part the hammer hits on the slide). Then before I figured this out I pulled the trigger and it launched the firing pin out the front of the inner slide.

Now a good amount of the firing pin is stuck out and cannot be pushed back in. I've never taken apart the slide before so I have no idea how to fix it. Any suggestions would be nice.

I don't know if this helps but the gun has been having a lot of missfires recently. I think it may be from a weak firing pin spring?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The rear of the firing pin holds it. Don't bother with the stop, just back it up with a rag and give the tip of the firing pin a good wack with a plastic punch, from the front, drving it back through the firing pin channel. The pin and spring should come out together.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Whitefang2016

Before you hit the firing pin with anything do the following.

1. Make sure the firing pin safety plunger in the slide moves freely. The plunger in the .380 Govt works in the opposite direction of a 1911. In the .380 Govt & Mustang, when the plunger is pressed INTO the slide the path of the firing pin is blocked. So before you try to move the firing pin you will need to make sure the plunger is OUT. There is a spring behind it so if it moves freely then you should be okay.

2. Try to push the firing pin out with constant pressure first. From your description the return spring may be crushed (the coils and now wound over each other), so the spring will probably drag on the sides of the slide until it is completely removed. If constant pressure does not work then tap the firing pin as suggested.

3. Make sure the firing pin stop is installed, or the open end is pointed down and against your workbench. It is possible the pin is wedged in the hole and the spring is fine, so it is possible that firing pin and spring will get launched (remember safety glasses, or keep your eyes out of the way).

4. When you have the firing pin out, replace the return spring.

Ihope thiks helps.
Str8_Shot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts