1911Forum banner

Colt 70 series not ejecting

733 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  mkk41
I have a 70 series colt that I have issues with. The first issue is that it double feeds and also it doesn’t eject the casing most of the time I broke down the issue to the lower receiver. Should I just change the ejector and call it a day. I’ve already swapped uppers with my other 70 series and have the same issue so I know that the issue is not in the upper.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7,093 Posts
FYI; Never drop the slide on a chambered round. It was not designed to snap-over a chambered round. This can 'back-bend' the extractor so it doesn't have enough tension. If this is a previously owned pistol, a previous owner could have done this. There is info on this forum and in a few 1911 manuals like Kuhnhausens book on how to bend and properly tension the extractor. But too much bending will weaken it and it won't keep up. A new, quality extractor is the remedy then.

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
Let's see pictures of your ejector. If it still happens after swapping the entire slide assembly something's going on that won't let it kick out the empty case.

Reactions: 13artillery

· Registered
7,093 Posts
USING A SIZED EMPTY CASE, OR LIVE ROUND WITH PISTOL POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION AND FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER, with magazine removed, will the extractor remove a chambered round and hold it against the breech-face till it hits the ejector? If the slide is traveling back far enough to strip a fresh round off the top of the mag, but the fired case isn't getting out of the way, the fired case is not staying locked against the breech-face of the slide and it's not hitting the ejector.

Another possibility is the recoil spring is too strong for the ammunition being used.

There are ejectors with extended nose, developed for the Commander which has a slightly shorter rearward slide travel, but a standard ejector should work in a standard 5in pistol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.