1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new Talo LW Commander Elite, comes with two 8 rd stainless steel mags. One of them has a weird issue, the follower will get hung up just before the last round is feed. When unloading the mag by hand, the last round falls out and the follower is not all the way up against the feed lips. When loading the mag, the first round seems to go in OK but it is loose and again will fall out if the mag is tilted. Once the next round goes in, all other rounds load fine.

Oddly, it seems to feed just fine in the firearm. Slide locks back on last round and everything.

There is no obvious dent or visible damage. No obvious dirt or anything else on the inside of the tube.

Anyone seen anything like this? Should this go back to Colt?

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Yes, it should go back. However, I have never been a fan of Colt mags. after about 1987ish.
I never even use the mags that come with new Colts. I like Metalform with round followers, Wilson are good and my favorite, Kimpro Tac-mag. The Tac-mags are made with strong springs like Colt use to use in the early 80s with the added addition of skirted followers.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes, it should go back. However, I have never been a fan of Colt mags. after about 1987ish.
I never even use the mags that come with new Colts. I like Metalform with round followers, Wilson are good and my favorite, Kimpro Tac-mag. The Tac-mags are made with strong springs like Colt use to use in the early 80s with the added addition of skirted followers.
+1 on the Kimpro Tac mags. They run 100% in my Colts. They are the highest quality mags manufactured by Checkmate. All parts are top shelf.

·
Registered
270 Posts
+2 on Kimpros tac...even come with bumpers you can add or not...follower is skirted so does not jam into your feed ramp and it's Teflon or something coated. run 100% in my 3 Colts and so does Mecgar (Italian) with poly follower.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I recommend taking the magazine apart and examining the follower and body to see if there is any noticable signs of follower binding. Also make sure the spring is installed properly and is of the correct length. Possibly an officer model spring could have been installed in a standard sized magazine body.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I prefer Colt 7-round magazines and have'nt had any problems with em' over the last 40+ years.
Sell those 8-rounders and get some Colt OEM 7-round mag's. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ferretray, I agree. Sometime ago, I gave up on all 8 rd. magazines and strictly use 7 rd. magazines - both Colt factory magazines and Checkmate with hybrid lips. Have had no issues since I took that route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts