1911Forum banner

Colt - 9mm, Series 70 Questions

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ppknut 
#1 ·
I have the opportunity to pick one up. I've dream't about this for a while (I've wanted one of these since I got my first .45). A few questions for those who know............ S/N 70L213xx

Date of Manufacture? I think it's probably late 70's Maybe 78 or 79?

I've seen threads discussing the finish, but I've seen it described as either nickel or stainless. Is it Stainless or Nickel?

It's clearly used, but overall in very nice shape. No bad marks inside or out. The slide to frame fit is good (slightest side/side wiggle. Lockup is very tight.

Someone put some crappy sights on it which I will likely replace.

Thanks for any input

#6 ·
I have a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm and find it a nice shooting gun. My only problem with it is that if I plan to carry 9mm I want to have more than 9 rounds of 9mm.

There is a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm at my local Gun store for $500. It has some fine line scratches on the slide but the barrel is clean and the slide has a nice fit to the frame. If I didn't already have the same Colt I would be all over this one. The shop has had it on their shelves for a very long time and I am sure that I could talk them down $50 - $100.

#12 · (Edited)
ppknut,

Sorry, I haven't been able to get into the forum in the late PM for a few days, either the forum has been down or it's too crowded.

Anyway, my 9 mm shoots about 3" groups at 25 yards, disappointing compared to my old accurized bullseye guns but acceptable for now. I shoot Wally-World bulk white box Winchester (about $16/100) since I'm too lazy to reload anymore--my time is better spent loafing in my old age.

I might send the 9 mm off for an accuracy job--undecided right now. I shot it about 75 rounds this morning, again--2 magazines into a 3" centered group. All in the black which impressed the kids at the range.

By the way, I did have a ppk once, nice gun but too heavy and too big for pocket carry--replaced it with a .380 lightweight Mustang. Should have replaced that with a 9 mm pocket model when they were on the market--too late now I guess.

#13 ·
farscott said:
A Series '70 9x19 Colt should be finished in blue or nickel. As far as I am aware, there have never been any Series '70 stainless guns in 9x19. The only stainless Series '70 guns are the current production repro guns.

This is correct. The nickel finished guns are worth more than the blued.

#14 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm in a wait period now for the piece. I'm anxious to try it out. I also usually shoot the WWB 9mm from Wally's. I should have started reloading decades ago when I had the patience to learn new skills.

If it needs some accurizing, I'll have to decide where! Most places have such a long wait, I hate to acquire a piece after waiting awhile to find it, then wait for the 10 days, then send it off for work, which could take months! Oh well...part of the game.

I love my PPK. It was a hand me down from a favorite uncle. I shoot it well and it's alot of fun. I only wish I could carry a piece here!

ppknut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.