·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got back from an NRA Patrol Rifle Instructor School. I was the odd ball in the school as I was shooting a Colt Gov Mod, XSE and a Winchester M-14 as my issue weapons. Oddball because every one else carried Glocks, B-92's, S&W auto's and AR clones, ( Rock River, Bushmaster, DPMS and Colt M-4's). As it was a Patrol Rifle school, hand guns were used as transition weapons incase the rifle goes down. I am proud to say that after 1000 rounds in 5 days, the M-14 produced ( ZERO ) malfunctions. The only reason I transitioned to my handgun was because of boredom!!.
Now do not get me wrong, I like my Colts just fine and I try to take good care of all of them but I made a commitment to myself when I purchased the XSE that it was going to be a duty gun. Meaning that the gun was going to get banged up and very dirty. The school was in the Florida panhandle and the sand took its toll on most of the weapons in the school. I fired about 350 rounds out of the Colt during the school and was mildly suprised as to the function of the gun due to all the sand. The only stoppage was one I called due to having sand blown in my eyes while shooting the Colt, it got covered in sand while I was performing a run and drop drill to fire prone. The gun did not stop I did.
The AR's had a few problems, most or all of the handguns worked fine.

If anyone gets a chance to go to this school you will find the NRA instructors Marc and R.K., to be top notch. These guys run this school like their life and you're life depended on it. I got a room at the Holiday Inn sunspree in PCB. I had big plans on doing the beach thing but I found out real quick that Marc and R.K. did not like to burn daylight so the only time I saw the beach was while beating the sand out of my boots on the deck, usually after 9 P.M.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
"What it once did it can still do....", a quote about good equipment always remaining good equipment I remember from my youth.

Their was never anything wrong with the 1911 or the M14 as battlefield equipment - but politics, money and tactical theories change - and so some genius "requires" a "newer, more modern, better tool."

The M16 was the darling of Robert Strange McNamara, a "whizkid" with zero military knowledge or understanding who was Secretary of Defense and should not have been. A now somewhat discredited study done during the Korean war said nobody uses long range rifle fire, and full auto is the way to go. Spray and pray - and carry lots of small bullets! It is better to wound an enemy than kill him, etc, and other such dribble.

You will note that the SEALS "readopted" the M14 for playing in the sandbox during the first Iraqi war, and the Marines are quietly reintroducing a couple of M14s into each squad as the "Designated Marksman Rifle". The M-4 series is probably great in the caves of Afganistan, but lacks a bit for the longer range desert engagements we are now facing. The WWII solution - a mix of weapons in each squad to deal with all problems - is apparently too difficult for modern warriors - but you may see it come back, as it works.

The 1911 was phased out and the M92 Beretta was adopted primarily because we were lobbying Italy for two things at the time - the adoption of the M92 was a several hundred Million dollar BRIBE. First, we wanted them to join in on the European Joint Fighter (F-16) program and to adopt and help build the F-16 in Europe. Secondly, we needed political backing regarding the basing of short ranged nuclear missles in Europe. I'm sure there were other issues, as well. It wasn't about "ammo standardization" - how much pistol ammo do you use in a war?

Great to hear you had a good time with two excellent weapons. With a 1911 for up close, and an M14 for anything further, a man is well armed indeed. And with both, anything shot STAYS shot!

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - Samuel Colt, mid-1850's Colt Newspaper Ad. More True today than 150 years ago.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The 1911 and the M14 is what I carried when I was in the Marines. The M16 was just starting to come in about a year before I got discharged.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Col. Colt said:
The M-4 series is probably great in the caves of Afganistan, but lacks a bit for the longer range desert engagements we are now facing. The WWII solution - a mix of weapons in each squad to deal with all problems - is apparently too difficult for modern warriors - but you may see it come back, as it works.
OT, but:
I have a Colt M4, it's great. What gets me is when they take a gun introduced as a CQB/ shorter range gun (more of a replacement for the niche of the M1 Carb or MP-5 then the M16) and now they're complaining that it doesn't have the knock down of a bigger weapon...
It's like taking a sword and complaining that it doesn't open letter's very well. :)

I agree, there is no One Gun To Rule Them All, even a modular concept is lacking sometimes.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I'm a big fan of the M-4 as well, Mike, and I have no problem with carbine length M-16 variants. But I use them within their limitations. It is somewhat sadly amusing to hear people complain about not getting rifle performance from what is, in essence, a really high performance, accurate submachine gun!

I just completed Ken Elmore's excellent AR LE Armorer course. It's amazing to find out how much difference there is between the parts used by the different AR brands. There is a difference.
Colt metallurgy and tolerances far exceed Bushmaster, Rock River, etc, etc. And once you know what goes into building a Colt AR, you begin to realize how many of the AR clones are just pale imitators - kind of like in 1911s, I guess.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - Samuel Colt, from a mid-1850's Colt Newspaper Ad. More True 150 Years Later Than Ever! (And includes rifles.....) cc

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Well, if one wants the ultimate CQB AR, then an AR-10 carbine would be what the doctor ordered, although a M-1A Scout with an EOTech or TA-11 would do nicely, too.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I think a .308 would not qualify for the "ulitimate" (I hate that word) CQB. Too much recoil and flash and the .223 is quite good and much faster to handle at these close ranges. Unless of course you are CQBing after a room full of moose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts