1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting my first AR. A local guy here has one brand new in safe, Colt LE6920 with full auto bolt. I looked at Gunbroker and the price is pretty much the same as what he's asking for (full auto bolt or not.)

I'm not interested in converting it into a full auto gun. My question is, with F.A. bolt, does it make the gun difficult to upgrade with after market internal parts? Or should I stay away from it?

The only upgrade I'm thinking about is improving the trigger pull (for fun, not for competition), so my young kids could enjoy it too.

TIA for your input.

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
A new Colt rifle destined for personal officer use or for possible civilian use should not have a FA bolt carrier . Either Colt made a mistake or it's been fooled with . 1-800-962-COLT . Give them a call to confirm .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do a search on AR15.com. Long story short it seems to be okay, it appears that ATF has ruled the presence of an M-16 type bolt carrier in a semi-auto AR type rifle does not make it a machinegun if it still fires semi-auto only with the FA carrier in place. A copy of the letter from ATF is posted on AR15.com. Look under AR Discussions.

·
Registered
664 Posts
That gun should not have left Colt with an M16 bolt carrier, but it is conceivable that it did- Colt has done stranger things. They might have been out of AR bolt carriers that day, or an M16 carrier might have made it into the AR bin. The M16 carrier is actually better to have in an LE6920, as it has the shrouded firing pin (the standard carrier that comes with the LE6920 has an unshrouded firing pin, and the skirt on the pin hits a shelf on the hammer and beats the crap out of the firing pin retaining pin. This is supposed to make it harder to convert the gun to full auto, but it sucks to have to replace the FP retaining pin every few thousand rounds). It is not illegal to have an M16 bolt carrier in an AR15, only M16 fire control components are illegal to have in the gun. I'd make sure the seller hasn't monkeyed with that gun and replaced any parts before I bought it

·
Banned
570 Posts
Do the search.... read the info....

no there are no issues with other internal parts swaps

What is the price? The price on 6920s went through the roof in a bit of hysteria a few months ago - those that got in early are still making money on the "pony"

Good luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
Concerning the full auto bolt>>

I was under the impression that ALL the new LE6920's came with the full auto bolt??...I remember reading this somewhere (either on this forum or another). I just purchased a 6920 about 2 weeks ago, how exactly do I tell if in fact its a M16 full auto bolt or an AR15 bolt?
EDIT: OOPs..Sparky315 might have explained the diff's
I will check when I get home and report back
-Erik

·
Registered
178 Posts
1. This post has a copy of a letter to Colt from the BATF.

2. Colt's LE Department says it's ok.

3. Colt has been shipping 6920s with the full auto bolt / carrier group.

·
Registered
664 Posts
f.2 said:
1. This post has a copy of a letter to Colt from the BATF.

2. Colt's LE Department says it's ok.

3. Colt has been shipping 6920s with the full auto bolt / carrier group.
I wish they'd shipped mine with a FA carrier, would have saved me the cost of a new one. They used to make an LE carrier that had the shrouded firing pin but without the M16 rear profile, but for some reason they discontinued it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sincerely thank everybody for input. I've heard about legality and have never seen the letter until today. Thank you f.2, for posting the link. However, learning that swaping the parts is not be an issue, I feel much better.

Taxi_Driver, I recently saw few at gun shows in Dallas. The price was close to $1,200 before tax. How much does it cost in your area?

sparky315, thanks for the tips how to spot the M16 carrier. I'll keep everybody posted of the transaction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All recent LEO marked 6721's and 6920's have M16 bolts/carriers ... My 6721 has one as well straight out of the factory box ...

·
Banned
570 Posts
Wit - I'm not a fan of the pony - so I don't keep track - I just know there was a hysteria that took the price up on a daily basis from around $1000 to around $1500 right after the ban lifted. This was also influenced by the LE / Mil markings and Colt's view of selling to civis

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
LE6920 Prices

I recently bought an LE6920 carbine from a shop in the Florida panhandle for just under $1200 during a weekend sale they had. Gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com can give you a current idea of what the market's down (and up) to for these.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I checked my bolt on my new 6920>>

and its a M16 style, and I paid $1275 2 weeks ago for my 6920 (for those that are interested)
-Erik

·
Registered
342 Posts
colt does that alot dont worry about it, only diffrence is a little more material at the rear of the carrier, i have seen alot of colt AR's with that carrier.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I bought 2 6920's in the past 3 months both have the M-16 bolt carrier, they are legal and are all that Colt will ship. It takes much more for the gun to be converted to full auto. Intrestingly, my Bushmaster M-4gery does go full auto and that with the AR bolt. I shot the **** out of it then sent it back to get looked at. Heh, heh. :p

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
The LEO ARs since about march of this year come with "16 carriers. Completely legal. Some came before that with 16 carriers also, but it was sporatic. I would MUCH prefer the "16 carrier as it does not chip up the front of the buffer and adds a bit of extra weight which delays unlocking a bit. It came that way and as it does exactly NOTHING to make it full auto it is legal according to Colt and the ATF.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts