1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a young guy who's looking into pickin up an ar-15. I would really like pick one up of the colt variety but I've heard from a couple people I should be looking at bushmasters. The reason for my post is I've found an older colt Ar thats looks just about mint. The problem is I'm pretty ignorant in the matter and have no idea what the SP1 model is\was. A quick web browser search came up with a little info but still lacking. What are the pro's and con's of this model and is there even a real big difference at all? Finding a colt brand new may take forever to actually get and this gun looks awesome !!!!!

What do you guys think ?????

· Registered
678 Posts
my colt 6920 is 2 pounds lighter then my rock river Entry tactical...colts a great gun i got mine for about 1500 new and my rock river for 700 new.. bushmaster makes a great gun for 800 dollers.....also i would recomend checkin out gun shows always got new colts there....good luck man good shooting :rock:

· Registered
1,511 Posts
The sp-1 was an early variant from colt on the AR platform. I wont say it was the first from them, but it was back there. It will be marked sp-1 on the mag well. They didnot have a forward assist and the bolt does not have assist notches, had a three prong flash hider, a thin barrel and triangle hand guards. A real authentic sp-1 is a collectors rifle and are usually priced as such. They are cool but I would get a later one as a shooter since it will be cheaper and you wont worry about buggering up something they arent making any more of. Colts can be had from several sources, but a quick search on the gun auction sites will give you a ball park figure. Dubb-1 is in the biz and can steer you better than I can.

Colt makes a good rifle, Bushmaster is popular and Armalite makes a good one. Rock River has a good reputation. I have a DPMS that I like but I havent shot it enough to really know just how good it is. The carbon fiber rifles from bushmaster are a tad different in some aspect, but I dont know exactly which aspect it is

ar-15.com is all abou the black rifles, it has a different tone but alot of good info.

· Registered
125 Posts
The Colt will be a great gun that will give you a lifetime of fun. Some Colts have larger pins that connect the upper and lower receiver meaning you will need an adapter if you want to switch out one upper for another (one of the really cool things about the AR platform).

I am personally biased against the Colt Co. About 10 years ago I had a customer service problem with them & ended up selling every Colt I owned,(3) AR's & (2) 1911's.

I built a lot of AR's when LMT was first opened (until the refinishing side of the business took over the shop) For the price of a Colt you can buy an LMT (a much better AR) or better yet build a tricked out AR. The last M4 I built has an LMT upper and lower. Bushmaster & DPMS also make quality AR's. DPMS makes quality rifles as well, G.A. Precision uses DPMS lowers to build their precision AR10's.

Just my .2 cents.

Joe

· Registered
4 Posts
Sp1

austin71184 said:
I'm a young guy who's looking into pickin up an ar-15. I would really like pick one up of the colt variety but I've heard from a couple people I should be looking at bushmasters. The reason for my post is I've found an older colt Ar thats looks just about mint. The problem is I'm pretty ignorant in the matter and have no idea what the SP1 model is\was. A quick web browser search came up with a little info but still lacking. What are the pro's and con's of this model and is there even a real big difference at all? Finding a colt brand new may take forever to actually get and this gun looks awesome !!!!!

What do you guys think ?????
The SP1 is pretty neat. Early Colt commercial rifle and lighter than (almost)any of the AR's being made now. It does have a 1 in 12" twist barrel, so you would be limited to M193 type ammo, or something under 60 grains bullet weight. This isn't a big problem...you just won't be able to use the M855 type ammo.

A buddy has a SP1. He scoped it and brought it over to my house to shoot one day. I was able to get 1" groups at 100 yards with the scoped rifle. Thought that was really good for such a light gun.

If the price seems reasonable, you can't really go wrong.

Jeff

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,396 Posts
I had a chance to get a minty SP-1, with Colt-marked bipod, about a year ago, for $1000. I hemmed and hawed, and it ended up sold to someone else. The same guy then offered-up a "Match Target HBAR" (I think. Model number R6601), which is essentially a civilian version of the M-16A2. It has a faster twist, so can utilize heavier bullets, it has the improved sights, spent case deflector, and other upgrades. While the SP-1 was way higher in "coolness", I'm glad I ended up with the other one.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
My first AR15 was what everybody now calls an SP1. (At the time, the choice was standard or collapsible stock- that's it. I don't remember anyone calling it the SP1 until later.)
he
It's still my favorite AR configuration for just general shooting. It's lighter, has simpler sights, I like the feel of the handguards, and it can do most of what I need one to do.

I think it's best described as the Vietnam-era M16 style. The obvious features are the triangle handguards and windage-only adjustable rear sight, but they also have:

-Lighter weight, 1-12 twist barrel. As said already, not very useful for the heavier bullets. I have shot a lot of 60 grain Hornady bullets, but have not tried anything heavier/longer. since most available ammo is still M193/55 grain, it's not a bad handicap for general shooting.
-Pistol grip wihout the finger groove. I like it better that way myself.
-Stock is shorter, and has a buttplate with more rounded edges. Not a big deal.
-The material the stock and handguards were made from was different. It's a little more "brittle" feeling, but I wouldn't call it easily broken. Although there are plenty of Vietnam War pictures of taped-up handguards, that's a different enviroment than what mine has been through.

They changed over to a sort-of M16A2 configuration starting about mid 1984. Some of the first "AR15A2s" had a mix of SP1/A1 features and A2 features like heavy A2 barrel and A1 sights. I imagine it was a case of using up the parts on hand.

All "SP1" AR15's should have the full bolt carrier, small diameter trigger and disconnector pins, and large diameter foward takedown pin. All I have seen have a serial number starting with "SP", like "SP100000". But I don't know if that's true with all.
You might want to watch for these things, because there have been a lot of "SP1" uppers for sale over the years. Anyone can take any AR lower and mount an SP1 upper on it. It's just as useful (or not, depending on your view), but just won't be "genuine"- if that matters.

From what I've seen, SP1s have been the most "reasonably" priced of the AR bunch, so there should be little reason to "fake" one to get more money. But if you want a "genuine" one, those some the things to look for.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I broke down :)

Well guys, I purchased that that "SP1"....... It looks really good and really almost mint. When the transaction is complete I'll try and post a quick pic or two. I want to thank everyone for their insight and advice. I guess later down the road I'll pick up a "newer model" that I can mess around with a bit. I'm just going to mount a scope on this one and leave as is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.