1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LGS here in Switzerland showed me this nice cased pair of Colt Army special made in 1915 and delivered to an Englishman in caliber .38 special rater than .38/200 (.38 S&W) that was prevalent in GB.

406026 was certainly a carry gun as it shows a lot of external wear

Whereas 402027 is in very good condition for a 106 years old gun

He is selling the pair for $ 2650.-. I am not buying them but thought I’d show them here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A very nice sequential pair of old Colts! I have an Army Special of around the same vintage in .32-20 Winchester. Mine was rode hard, and put away wet. More than once. I salvaged it from near parts-gun condition and put it back into use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A very nice sequential pair of old Colts! I have an Army Special of around the same vintage in .32-20 Winchester. Mine was rode hard, and put away wet. More than once. I salvaged it from near parts-gun condition and put it back into use.
I'm glad you folks put up the Army Specials! I've got a 38 Factory engraved Army Special from 1911...it very well may be UNFIRED. I have the Colt factory letter to show it was originally engraved by them. Beautiful pistol...I've got a couple of pics somewhere...I'll try and find them. Regards, Shrps74

·
Registered
828 Posts
CLASSIC12;

You always feature photos of good stuff to look at.

I love vintage Smith & Wesson revolvers most of all, but do greatly esteem some classic Colts too. The older Colts run a close second to Smith & Wesson in my mind and they have a charm all their own.

You might do well to secure those Army Specials for there is still a lot of good shootin' there.

Two Army Specials live here. One I acquired because I wanted a good usin' example of a revolver chambered for .41 Long Colt and one because I wanted to teach myself about Colt actions.

Way back when I was young a local pawn shop had a nickel 4-inch Colt Army Special in .41 Long Colt. Before this, I'd only ever seen .41 Long Colt in a few Colt Model 1877 "Thunderers." I had just turned 21 and was sorely tempted to buy that .41 Army Special. For all I remember about it now it could have been a non-original nickel finish, probably was, but for about a year it was in their pistol case and I'd go in there and fondle it on occasion. One day it was gone and I began regretting not buying it.

Years later I had opportunity to pick up a late vintage circa 1925 4-inch Army Special chambered for .41 Long Colt and was tickled to do so. I handload .41 Long Colt ammunition for this revolver and shoot it quite a bit. No Python has an action that feels any smoother or nicer than this revolver's action. Have toted it both afield and concealed. Good ol' cartridge. There's no real reason to ressurect the obsolete .41 Long Colt today, but it is a good serviceable revolver cartridge all the same. Stuff shot with either the .41 Long Colt or the .40 S&W probably couldn't tell the difference between the two. Handloads developed with various powders: Herco, Unique, Bulls Eye, have operated in a velocity range of 720 fps to 900 fps using a 200 grain lead bullet. That's actually pretty useful handgun ballistics.

I gave $70 for this relic grade 6-inch 1914 Colt Army Special in .38 Special. It was an early GunBroker find and needed a lot of rehab. I bought a replacement hammer and hand and fitted them so that the revolver could be put back to use. Added a ejector rod head to replace the missing one. Found a heavily worn, but sound set of hard rubber stocks that matched the condition of the revolver and replaced the broken and taped original stocks. The revolver will never look nice, but shoots quite well.

Because nitwits gotta experiment with runnin' on the ragged edge, I experimentally fired cylinders-full of several different factory +P 158 grain .38 Special loads through this one after I had worked on it and buttoned it back up. The old wheezer handled them with aplomb, not appearing to be the worse for the wear. I've long since determined to my own satisfaction that +P .38 Special is nothing more than a tempest in a teapot and unworthy of any amount of firearms forum dithering.

Serial number on this one is 367521.

The original hammer had problems with Bubba in a former life.

Made ugly primers.

Because of pierced primers and spitting, shooting for group was approached with trepidation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts