1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to replace the cast thumb and grip safety on my newly acquired XSE stainless. i cant seem to find any safeties that are made from bar stock steel. they are all either mim or casts. can anyone lead me to the rite direction. all your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
I believe the only bar stock safeties you will find are from SVI and they do not offer grip safeties that are bar stock. Hang on to your wallet when you see the price. Nothing wrong with cast or MIM, if done properly.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
modenar22

As bdavis said there is nothing wrong with the Colt parts, whether they are made from castings or MIM, they are well made and will serve you well for a long time. I suggest that you shoot your pistol and get to know it for one or two thousand rounds, then decide what needs to be changed based on your experience shooting the pistol. If the parts irritate you, or don't work for any reason, then change them. But ammo is a better investment up front rather than changing a part because of the method used to make it.

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
Colt has been using cast thumb and grip safeties since the early 1980's. Older ones won't be easy to find.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,288 Posts
And older, stainless ones, impossible!
The SVI thumb safety is a very nice piece, but yeah, expensive.
The only gripe that I have with the stainless grip safety on my Colt is some porosity on the exposed edges, which isn't noticeable with the heavily blasted factory finish, but looks bad if polished.

·
Registered
651 Posts
What were the grip and thumb safeties made from during the 1960's and 1970's? Machined bar stock...?

I know the grip safety on my S70 Repro looks like hell. Doesn't look like any polishing was done after the manufacturing process and you can see pits all over the thing. Take a look...

None of my older guns have this problem...

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
It's true, Colt's cast grip safeties are looking cruddy these days. I would recommend using a Springfield grip safety instead, as they look nice and smooth. I'm using one on my retro-ish Caspian build currently in progress, though I have a little stash of old Colt barstock ones. Anyway, I believe the original poster is looking for a beavertail or ducktail type grip safety for his XSE, so most of this discussion is probably moot for him.

Loadedcolt, your gun looks pretty nice, in spite of the crusty grip safety. Nothing's perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually i am looking for the original government grip safety (not a beavertail or duckbill) im trying to give my XSE an old retro look. i will be changing the hammer alos, replacing it with a spur hammer. i know it would have been easier just to buy a series 80, since 70's are not cali approved no more. but the deal i got on the xse i couldnt pass up. therefore i have some cash left over for some work on the pistol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts