1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fortunate to own a Government Model "C" prefix serial numbered Colt. This pistol came from the estate of a competitive shooter and has been modified with the addition of an adjustable rear sight, trigger job and N.M. bushing. It is extremely accurate and retains approximately 80 to 85% of the original bluing. I have been considering refinishing the pistol for cosmetic purposes and well as continued use. I would appreciate opinons as to perferred finishes and recommended companies.

My plans are to continue to use, carry and shoot this pistol in 3-gun matches.

TN HP

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,149 Posts
I'd either leave it alone, or have it expertly hard chromed. Re-bluing doesn't make much sense, as with use, you'd soon be right back at 80%-85%. The spray 'n' bake finishes (This Coat, That Cote and Other Kote) all seem to look ragged as soon as they show a bit of wear. Chrome is long-lasting, and looks good for a long time. I don't like "silver" guns much, but until there is a viable "black" alternative, chrome is the way to go.

·
Administrator
79,364 Posts
If you plan to keep shooting it, why not just leave it alone? The minute you end up with a pistol with a perfect finish you're not likely to want to handle it that much.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Or you could modify it with checkered fronstrap, and serrated rear of slide, so that you have an 'excuse' to re-blue it.

You didn't say what year. Might make a difference when considering a re-finish. Might be too valuable for ISPC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.