1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly rare Colt Defender Plus (govt size frame)
they only made a few thousand...
Do you think it would lessen it's value if I had it bobbed?

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Yes, but, if it's a carry piece, and it's yours, it's your call... (and it's a Defender, not a vintage WWI Colt.)

I'd personally be leery of bob jobs on alloy frames unless the smith is experienced on these issues and has a viable refinishing solution, and I was sure I was keeping the pistol forever.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, but I don't see where a Defender Plus is collectable.
Different people collect different stuff..I collect pre 64 Winchester 22 rifles..
I preferred Colts too until I bought my first Dan Wesson that was enlightening to say the least...

I'd like opinions from Colt collectors...I have 3 but I'm not a collector

edit: I've also seen some Colts bobbed(only a few) when I searched for bobtails and they weren't depreciated.
also go search for a Plus see if you can find one..Rare items are sometimes desired by collectors.
Like old 22s (not rare)that were ment to be used and used but are still like new(very rare) like my collection of 26 win 22s

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
i don't care for the bobbed look, i like them just the way the factory made them.

how much for a bob job? save the $$, and put that toward another piece that is already bobbed?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't care for the bobbed look, i like them just the way the factory made them.

how much for a bob job? save the $$, and put that toward another piece that is already bobbed?
Did you ever hold/shoot one?

I also agree that save the "BOB" money and get another Bobbed gun..
I've seen an add for cheep bobjob but I'd send it to one of the $$$ guys mostly because it's an alloy frame..I likely won't

The colt 2 posts above is real nice and looks alot like a stock CBOB that just changed my life a little..Help!! I can't shut up..

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
A few thoughts:

1) A modern pistol like the Defender Plus with a few thousand made is unlikely to have significant collector's value for thirty years. 150 made, maybe; 1,000 made, not likely.

2) The Defender Plus niche was for shoulder holster carry with the muzzle to the rear and the grip down. This is one the method of carry where the Commander frame topped with an Officer's ACP slide made sense. In fact, my first CCO was built when I swapped uppers with a friend with a Commander as he needed a gun compatible with his shoulder holster.

3) If you are planning on carrying the gun IWB, a Bobtail makes sense. But the slide is so short that it makes more sense to carry a longer-barreled gun in an IWB holster since the extra barrel length is hidden in the pants. I would get another pistol set-up for the Bobtail rather than modify the short-slide Defender Plus.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Most Colt 1911 people prefer their Colt 1911 to look like a Colt 1911 not like a Smith & Wesson etc. You may get your original purchase price(not the boob job cost) but it will take longer to sell all things considered. Yes someone may just have their heart set on one right after you list it for sale, but that would be the exception in my experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts