Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Hook line & sinker in.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3.14 - 'I like Colts'

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I was out shopping for Colts and saw this on the used market. It looks like these could be export/import markings? Or what are they? Specifically the 'IT 2015' marking on frame (right) near dust cover. I couldn't find a production date with the serial suffix 'E' enhanced designation. I don't have much to go on - I haven't any explanation at this time from the 'dealer' guy. But strangely I think I have seen this gun before! Smells fishy to me considering. Maybe its legit, but my feelers say 'NO' it is bait.
pix929397465.jpg
pix929397465.jpg
Disclaimer: I already have a Combat Elite but would buy another because, 'I like Colts'

Registered
It has proof and import marks showing it spent time in another country. Perhaps the IT 2015 is part of that. If the price was right , I'd grab it. Cool looking Colt!

Premium Member
Looks like it may have been imported to Italy? Berettas are marked "IT<YY>" on the back of their slides; for example "IT18". It's possible that's Berettas way of marking their guns as to where they were made and the year, but it seems a bit coincidental to have a similar marking on an obviously imported gun...the CIP/N/etc markings are all Euro proof marks that it passed CIP testing, so on, so forth.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info and is basically what I thought importer marks and also the cool proof marks.
I saw this gun recently on an auction site, that and not getting any info from the seller after asking twice. and also it seems scammy to me because other indicators. I suspect I've seen this gun around on the net before.

Premium Member
I used to have a Combat Elite just like that. I regret selling it.
Same...a decent dehorn, a Wilson thumb safety and some front strap checkering and it would have been perfect. Sadly I didn't want to spend the money/time to get the front strap and dehorning done so I sent it on...oh well. On the upshot, I turned it into a Colt Combat Unit railgun...which (ironically) also needs a Wilson or Novak thumb safety and a good dehorn..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Appears to be a SCAM. The FFL premise address is in NY and gun 'supposedly' in Wichita KS. The seller sent a 'copy' of their FFL for me to verify. Seller also has other listing location in FL. I'm changing my vote to RUN ... far away. Google maps shows ittle house in old neighborhood no store front or market place anywhere near.

Shame nice Combat Elite though.

Premium Member
There is a scam uptick on Gunbroker. Particularly semi automatic pistols. I've reported a half dozen of them. Pistols I've seen before, duplicate pictures and descriptions with bogus addresses. Many are first time sellers and ask for PayPal which Gunbroker does not support.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This SCAMMER was asking for money order or cashier checks.

Administrator
I always ask for MOs or cashier checks because I'm not a business and don't have a way to process credit cards. That alone doesn't make somebody a possible scammer. But the failure to respond to questions in a timely manner or to furnish additional photos when asked is a huge red flag. Once I had a would-be buyer ask me to take a close-up of a particular area of a gun I was selling. I could tell he was only doing it to prove that I actually possessed the item in question, and I complied with his request. I only ignore requests when they're unreasonable or I suspect they're just tire-kicking.

Reactions: Texas Guns

Registered
I understand the following information may not be useful for this specific case, should it be scam.
Just for general info for anybody interested, CIP N is the European proof mark for smokeless powder proof on arms sold in the European Union.
It鈥檚 the abbreviation of Commission internationale permanente pour l鈥櫭﹑reuve des armes 脿 feu portatives ( Permanent International Commission for the Proof of small arms).
The proof guarantees the safety of the arms sold to civilians.
For pistols and revolvers, it dictates, among other things, firing three overloaded cartridges producing 30% more chamber pressure than the maximum pressure limit for the same cartridge in its commercial version.
Any info about CIP , included the full list and figures of the European identification proof marks, both old and presently in force, is available at
Homepage | Drupal
The mark of any Proof House recognized within the EU is recognized by all others.
The Italian Proof House mark portrays two crossed rifles with bayonet over an anvil and hammer surrounded by a star inside a gear wheel.
The full chart of initials used by the Italian Proof and corresponding year of proof is attached.
Hope this helps

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I always ask for MOs or cashier checks because I'm not a business and don't have a way to process credit cards. That alone doesn't make somebody a possible scammer. But the failure to respond to questions in a timely manner or to furnish additional photos when asked is a huge red flag. Once I had a would-be buyer ask me to take a close-up of a particular area of a gun I was selling. I could tell he was only doing it to prove that I actually possessed the item in question, and I complied with his request. I only ignore requests when they're unreasonable or I suspect they're just tire-kicking.
Agreed, due diligence is required when dealing online. The red flag for me, was the advertisers multiple listings with multiple location/addresses including their FFL did not match those either!

Registered
Appears to be a SCAM. The FFL premise address is in NY and gun 'supposedly' in Wichita KS. The seller sent a 'copy' of their FFL for me to verify. Seller also has other listing location in FL. I'm changing my vote to RUN ... far away. Google maps shows ittle house in old neighborhood no store front or market place anywhere near.

Shame nice Combat Elite though.
Almost positive it's the same guy I turned in 3 times on another forum. Absolutely a scam.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts