1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a Colt Combat Elite or a Wiley Clapp Government, I am not sure which one even though I have read through countless post about both.

My local gun shop has both with the Wiley Clapp being about $200 more. I will more than likely be using this as a everyday carry if that helps any. Can I get some insight on which you would prefer for everyday carry/defense?

I like the front strap checkering and am also a fan of the 70 series but I also like the look of the Combat Elite and have always been a fan of the 2 tone guns. However I don't like the front slide serrations. Any advice would be great!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Go with the Clapp. The extra 200 is well worth the extras over the combat elite. You could always have the frame nickeled if you want a 2 tone. That is what I did to my Colt CCG

·
Registered
103 Posts
Think of it this way...you like the features(series 70, front strap checkering) of one and the two tone of the other. I'd go with the features first and cosmetics second personally.

I was in the same boat and went with the Wiley Clapp Government this spring and love it!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that answers my question, I guess the only thing I don't like about the WC is the brass bead front sight

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Well that answers my question, I guess the only thing I don't like about the WC is the brass bead front sight
Pretty easy to change. The FCS on the Combat Elite, not so much.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I recently bought a WC Light Commander. I caution you! It has made it very hard for me to enjoy my 80 Series 38 Super Gov't Model. I love the Super, but the 70 Series trigger on the Clapp is soooo much better. Go with the WC.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have a Wiley Clapp Commander and I really like it, the bead front sight is my favorite, wish all my guns had it. Next is the GI style safety and the checkered front strap. the trigger pull on it isn't as good as my Combat Elite or my Gold Cup but is OK. The so called series 70 type feature doesn't guarantee a good trigger, mostly it's hype. The real 70 series had the collet bushing which did improve accuracy by removing excess play without having to fit a bushing. My old series 80 Combat Elite does have the collet bushing, it may be the most accurate 1911 I own.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I know I must be in the minority but I went with the Combat Elite over the Clapp. I just like it better and don't think the Clapp is worth the extra money. If I want all the bells and whistles, I have a Les Baer which is a much better gun than any of the Colts.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I disagree. I have 2 Clapps and a Baer TRS. If you use the pistol for what a pistol is for ....at distances it was designed to protect. ...from an unsupported position the two performed the same. It would cost a lot more than 200 to get the elite checkered by Pete Single. Not to mention the high cut and round butt. Jmo of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You won't remember the $200
You will remember how good that clapp feels. I know I do. If your lgs has both, go hold them with your eyes closed. Let that help you decide.
You can order online and save some $. I got mine from tombstone tactical for 1080

·
Banned
932 Posts
You know you're just dying to get the Clapp... pleasure yourself and get the Clapp! It will feel good long after you get it.

In my view, no comparison. Easiest choice to make. The FS checkering, no front slide serrations, and Series 70 attributes MAKE the gun. Sights are easy peasy, same with a finish change if you really have to have that. The checkering alone is WELL worth the extra money.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I own both. There is no doubt that the WC is a better fit pistol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would it be smarter to just save the money and get a Colt Special Combat Government? Is the Special Combat worth the money? I don't understand why they wouldn't put the front strap checkering on that at least?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think if I was going to spend special combat money I would buy a Les Baer.. But it is a great gun the special combat..
That's what I was thinking as well, if you're going to spend that much money might as well get a Dan Wesson or Les Baer but I was just curious.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts