1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a friend of mine have a COLT COMMANDER LIGHT WEIGHT, the guns is not in great condition, it needs a new finish and new mags, the pull is horrible and the inside of the barrel is rusted.

So my question is what's the value of the gun?
Don't know the year of made or round count but is not in great condition.

SERIAL#: 230XX LW

Please advise.

Thank you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok no luck with the advice, but I bought it and now looking to do a new finish, sights and trigger job.

What would you recommend?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
A pic would help. She could be a door stop or a good gun to build on? What does the friend want to do? How much sentimental value does it have with him? How deep is his pockets $? Did I say a pic might help? :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
1952. When you look to re-finishing,if you do it as original,the price to re-anodize it with the PROPER treatment may be cost prohibitive.How rusted is the barrel? Can you live with it or are you going to buy and fit a new barrel? This project could cost more than the thing will be worth.However,depending on what you expect it to be when finished it might be worthwhile,if it can be bought reasonably.Because of its' age be sure to inspect it [or have it inspected by a good 'smith] for cracks in the frame.Nick

·
Registered
42 Posts
1952. When you look to re-finishing,if you do it as original,the price to re-anodize it with the PROPER treatment may be cost prohibitive.How rusted is the barrel? Can you live with it or are you going to buy and fit a new barrel? This project could cost more than the thing will be worth.However,depending on what you expect it to be when finished it might be worthwhile,if it can be bought reasonably.Because of its' age be sure to inspect it [or have it inspected by a good 'smith] for cracks in the frame.Nick
I had Novak's do a LW Commander for me a few months ago and it was around 350.00 and that included all new springs. Gun looked as good as new when I went to pick it up. However, they do not like to polish the sides of the slide as it is extra work. I would say send the slide to Colt if you want it polished and have someone else anodize the frame as Colt wont touch the frame since it will need anodizing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts