1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased a new colt commander a little over a month ago. I have fired exactly 29 rounds through it. On round 22 (last one in colt mag) I experienced a FTF resulting in the slide lock engaging the the round sitting loose on top of the mag. Also the frame now has several knicks in on the rails ontop and on the bottom side of the rails. The slide however appears to be mint. I lubed and made sure this thing was clean before I fired it. Any thoughts? I will attach photos of the frame as soon as I figure out how to.

Edit: the action is now EXTREMELY gritty, even after being cleaned and lubed. Wondering if I shouldn't send it back to colt.

Edit: after inspecting the frame under better lighting conditions and giving it a quick wipe down, it appears that the pin running through the rails wasn't flush. One side is still protruding slightly, and the other side appears that the pin needs to be drifted through more to be flush. Not to mention, the left side especially, has shiny goudge marks that run the length of the rail.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,305 Posts
Inertia feed, methinks.
The mag spring is at its weakest on the last round, and as the gun recoils, the last round is able to escape the control of the feedlips, and because the mag is empty, the slide locks back.
I'd start by thoroughly cleaning and degreasing the mag(s), as even a little lube will increase the ease with which that last round will escape the mag.
Tap the pin in so it's flush on both sides.
It's NOW gritty, after cleaning and lubing, but wasn't when Colt shipped it?
I'd look at the cleaning and lubing procedure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Inertia feed, methinks.
The mag spring is at its weakest on the last round, and as the gun recoils, the last round is able to escape the control of the feedlips, and because the mag is empty, the slide locks back.
I'd start by thoroughly cleaning and degreasing the mag(s), as even a little lube will increase the ease with which that last round will escape the mag.
Tap the pin in so it's flush on both sides.
It's NOW gritty, after cleaning and lubing, but wasn't when Colt shipped it?
I'd look at the cleaning and lubing procedure.
Thanks for the reply on the FTF. I will do that. I sent another mag through it after it with the same mag and it functioned properly. The slide action was as smooth as glass with the exception of obviously needing lubed at the gun store when they brought it up from the warehouse. I was the first person outside of colt to touch it, so it hadn't been handled by a thousand different people. After my first mag through it a few weeks ago I noticed the grittiness a little bit but didn't think anything of it. It is now worse than my glock's slide action. In fact, I honestly think my glock is smoother. The pin looks a little beat up so I'm not sure if I shouldn't send it back or order a replacement rather than tapping it in.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
@Kyle4329: I had similar FTFs and FTEs on my Commander. I sent it back to Colt. Just got the gun back last week. Cleaned it, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Neither before nor after did I notice any problems with the rails. But, then, I wasn't looking particularly.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I know you said gritty but is that the best way to describe it? I ask because stainless on stainless guns feel different, they tend gall but it feels more like sticky or squeaky. In other cases they have a zipper feeling but I think that's more from the machining.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I know you said gritty but is that the best way to describe it? I ask because stainless on stainless guns feel different, they tend gall but it feels more like sticky or squeaky. In other cases they have a zipper feeling but I think that's more from the machining.
This is good to know. Thank you. If you would be so kind to keep me updated via this thread or a pm regarding the FTF it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.