1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting a Colt 1911 for a while now. Recently I found this at one of my local gun stores:

Colt Commander
Model 45
7 inch barrel
Price: $539

It looks to be in good condition. There is some slight wear on the top of the extractor but otherwise in good condition.

My first question is: Is this a good price?

My second question is: Is this the best way to go? I'm looking to spend about $600 and I want something that I can carry (I recently got my carry license).

Thank you for looking at my thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you sure that a 7" barrel? If it is, good luck hiding that ccw.:biglaugh:

Check out http://www.budsgunshop.com, they have good prices on lots of Colts. Someone had new some New Agent's for about $725 on another site.

BTW, I love these guns, I used to carry a 1991a1 commander, and occasionally carry a Defender. What type of finish does it have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Your right...

I'm sorry the over all length is 7 inches.

Its got a black finish.

I looked at that website and it looks like the lowest price they have is $687.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
That would be a very good price but it would really depend on what model it is, and what condition is it in. Is it a Series 80 Commander or a pre-Series 80? Is it a Combat Commander or a LW Commander? Is it blued or stainless or nickel? (I see it has a "black finish") What condition is it in? Is there any wear apparent except on the top of the extractor? Is the slide centered in the dustcover? Any evidence of rubbing? When you lock the slide back and look inside, is there any evidence of polishing the ramp or barrel (certainly not always a good thing). Are there any signs of modification like after-market sights, grips, grip safety, etc? How many magazines with the gun? Is the original box included? There is so much to consider when determining value. Photos of the gun would help a lot. If you are not familiar with Commanders or Colts, take someone with you who is knowlegeable to check it out for you. You can't always believe what you hear from the guy behind the counter in gun shops. Good luck with it and let us know if you get it. And be sure and post some pics.

And welcome to the forum! There are lots of good guys with lots of knowledge to draw on here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
More Information!

I went to the gun store today and got some more information. Here's what I found out:

Steel frame
Series 80
Parkerized finish
comes with 2 magazines and orginal box

I looked at the inside of the barrel and it doesn't appear to have any wear.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
It would be best to see a picture of the gun and know a little more
about it's condition. From what your saying it sounds like it's in good
shape. If so, that's a good price for that pistol. I have a series 80
Commander and I really enjoy it. It's a great gun. If your "New To
1911's" it's a good place to start. My commander way my first 1911
as well.:)

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
A Comander is truly a classic carry pistol!

(For mostly carrying, I'd prob find a Lightweight variant....; night and day difference in weight!)

·
Registered
975 Posts
That's a good price if the colt is in good shape like the above has already said , take someone with you to the shop that is colt savvy. i wear a lw commander everday love the colt. good luck on your purchase, pictures if you bring it home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you

I really appreciate all of the input that you all have given. It has made the decision a lot easier.

Should I be concerned that about the parkerized finish? Is this better or worse than stainless, etc?

Also how concerned should I be about the wearing on the top of the extractor? It has the black parkerized finish on it as well (like the rest of the gun) and the wearing it causing silver to show instead of the black finish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the money the park finish will do. The stainless is more durable, but more money. I think I have the same gun you are looking at and have had good luck with a product from Wally World, I believe it's Red Duck or Red Head, something like that, it has a red cap (aerosol can). It really soaks into the finish and helps with wear and rust.

And if you decide to get a Colt, you must post pics ASAP.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
Also how concerned should I be about the wearing on the top of the extractor? It has the black parkerized finish on it as well (like the rest of the gun) and the wearing it causing silver to show instead of the black finish.
You shouldn't even be able to see the extractor, except for the small hook at the front when the slide is locked back as well as its ass end sticking out of the back of the slide. I assume you're talking about another part, perhaps the ejector maybe? Or else the chamber hood of the barrel? The thing to understand is that any finish will eventually wear off in metal-to-metal contact areas. To see finish wear on top of the barrel, around the circumference of the barrel where the bushing rides, the slide and frame rails, and sides of the trigger is normal.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
It could be one of the old "billboard" rollmark 1991A1s. They have REALLY big number/letters on the side of the slide. For $539, I'd wave 5 $100.00 bills in front of the owner/manager's face for an out the door price and see what happens. It's a good deal either way, though.

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here It Is!!

So after great deliberation I broke down and got it. Heres a link to a page of pictures. (If you click them they will enlarge)

http://newto1911s.blogspot.com/

Tell me what you think.

Also do I need to clean it right off the bat?

What's the best practice for cleaning as far as leaving lubricant (Right now its bone dry)?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Like Andy said, you have an older version of the 1991A1 80 series Commander. You got an OK to fair price, depending on where you are. The most important part is - it's a fabulous gun!! :)

I'd suggest you clean it just to inspect it. Considering this is a used pistol, you may or may not find some rust spots (especially under the grips) that would be good to attend to right away.

To lubricate place a drop of Mil-Spec CLP or equivalent lube in the following locations:
- each rail
- top of the barrel hood (the part of the barrel showing through the ejection port)
- link (the swinging thingy under the barrel chamber)
- lug grooves (inside the slide)
- disconnector (the small "head" sticking out of the receiver with the slide off)
- the base of the hammer on each side
- mag release botton
- tip of the barrel

If nothing else, you should make sure to lube the rails and the link.
Put the gun back together, rack a few times, wipe off excess lube and you're good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy Crap Thank you!

Thank you guys so much for all your help! I love this site and I really appreciate everyone's input. It made this decision a lot easier.

I've got some gun lubricant that I have used to clean my other gun (Glock) for a while is that sufficient?

Do you recommend lubricating the barrel itself?

·
Registered
24 Posts
While on the subject of Commanders i would like to ask something. I just got a 1911 yesterday,not a Colt, was actually the second one i owned, the other was a govt model that i had about 10 years ago and sold after some problems.
Anyway, is the commander fussy about what you feed it ? Does it feed hardball as well as jhp,s with the same efficency ? Any problems with lead rounds ? Just an over all view is what im looking for.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I've got some gun lubricant that I have used to clean my other gun (Glock) for a while is that sufficient?

Do you recommend lubricating the barrel itself?
Frankly just about any lubricant will do. CLP or FP10 have properties that make them ideal for use in a steel gun, so most people here use them, but if you don't have them on hand even 10-W40 will do OK; some folks swear by synthetic motor oil. Regardless, you will do well by your gun to get some CLP.

When you clean the barrel with a mild solvent like Hops # 9 and plan to shoot the gun soon, you don't need to lube the bore; Hops also has preservative qualities. If you use a stronger solvent on your bore, it's better to wipe off the solvent with a few dry patches and lube the bore lightly with a CLP-soaked patch. If you plan on storing the gun for a while, it wouldn't hurt too put a few drops of CLP into the bore to prevent corrosion, but you have to wipe the excess oil off before you shoot the gun or else (supposedly) you may reach unsafe pressure levels and damage the barrel.

Bones507 said:
Anyway, is the commander fussy about what you feed it ? Does it feed hardball as well as jhp,s with the same efficency ? Any problems with lead rounds ?
A well made Commander should feed whatever you shoot in it. Any normal 1911 barrel can shoot lead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts