1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I purchased a new Commander and want to get a few spare springs and such for it. I checked Brownell's and all I can find are 20lb recoil springs with a comment that 18lb is standard. I intend to only shoot hardball and defensive ammo in the gun. Should I buy the 20lb spring or keep looking for 18lb? What do you all use?

Thanks, John.

·
Registered
972 Posts
A number of people find going up one step (from 18# to 20# in a Commander or from 16# to 18.5# in Government Model) works well, particularly with ball or heavier loads.

I was told many years ago by a very well known 1911 gunsmith that Colt/Browning originally settled on the 16# spring for the Government Model because it was more reliable in "untrained" hands, which was where many if not most issue 1911s ended up. The lighter spring will function with a less than ideal grip, a not uncommon phenomenon.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,731 Posts
I was also shoppping for Commander springs, and noted that all those in the Brownells catalog are of the "progressive" type. I guess I'll have to order straight from Wolff, if I want a standard spring. I tend to favor standard springs for standard loads.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
All my Commanders run with 20# springs, and run very well with standard ammo and (stout) reloads.

·
Registered
335 Posts
JohnC said:
Hello,

I purchased a new Commander and want to get a few spare springs and such for it. I checked Brownell's and all I can find are 20lb recoil springs with a comment that 18lb is standard. I intend to only shoot hardball and defensive ammo in the gun. Should I buy the 20lb spring or keep looking for 18lb? What do you all use?

Thanks, John.
My Kimber Pro-Carry (Officers frame) uses a #20 spring and it functions great.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
www.wa-protective.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts