1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this yesterday. The item is listed as an XSE, but the picture below the description is of a Commander XS. The model number given is "04012XS". This got the wheels turning. I was hoping the dealer made a mistake on calling it an XSE. Here is the gunbroker.com link
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2584393

I contacted the seller to clarify and the pistol for sale is truly an XSE, making the model number O4012XSE (Model "O" series pistols, "enhanced").

Does anybody know if there were some Commander XSE's released with an end tag that designated "Model O4012XS"? I've never seen one.

The XSEs are fine pieces, but I have been wanting a NIB Commander XS for a long time. Oh well.

[This message has been edited by AllColtsHere (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richie,

I have actually been able to spend some time with some of the very nice people who work at the Colt facility.

The XSE's are "Model O" pistols, and they are not discontinued. Colt is, however, back ordered to distributors on many models due to increased demand.

There is an abundance of GM XSE's and a lesser number of Commander XSE's available right now. You should be able to find what you need in the XSE series.

HTH

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think most of those dealers do not have a clue about technology and hire someone to do the ads. They steal pictures from around the internet and use them as representative samples. Once I was looking for a Elite II and the same gun picture was used on three different sights to sell 3 different guns. The problem with the picture was they took a picture of the serial # It didn't match any of the guns that were for sale. So buyer beware, the picture isn't always what your buying. Ask questions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's no Commander either, it's a CCO. My two cents is that the gun really is an XSE, but the guy posted a file photo of the XS because they look "close enough". I've been buying those NEW GUNS FOR THIS YEAR magazines for the last few years, which are supposed to be a new gun buyer's guide for the new year, and they all list the XSE, but all show a picture of an XS. It really doesn't take an eagle eye to see the difference between the two.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by emmo:
That's no Commander either, it's a CCO. My two cents is that the gun really is an XSE, but the guy posted a file photo of the XS because they look "close enough". I've been buying those NEW GUNS FOR THIS YEAR magazines for the last few years, which are supposed to be a new gun buyer's guide for the new year, and they all list the XSE, but all show a picture of an XS. It really doesn't take an eagle eye to see the difference between the two.
Pretty sharp eyes emmo. It looks like a CCO but, it really looks like a Commander marked slide on an Officer ACP frame. If it was a CCO, the left side of the slide should say "Concealed Carry Model". Colt put some pretty strange parts together at times and this may well have been sent out as a CCO, but not a correct CCO.
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good call SamColt, I stand corrected. I have seen a few pieced Colts like this before now that I think about it. I hope one day Colt will do one of these numbers to my liking. My dream gun would be a "piece together" consisting of a royal blued XSE government without the front slide serrations, an arched steel housing, and in .38 super. What are the odds of that!? I'd probably hit the lottery first...Hey wait a second,....If I were a millionaire, I could have Colt build that exact gun just for me! See ya, I'm gonna go blow my paycheck on PowerBall..

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
emmo...
Sounds like a nice gun to me (What Colt Gov't isn't nice?) Better give the Colt Custom Shop a call @ 1-800-962-COLT and place your order.
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great!!, I'll go ahead and order one then. Oh, wait, I haven't won the lottery yet. Maybe I can sell my truck...hmm. I've seen those new "it" scooters on the news last night. Maybe I can get around on one of those. Anybody know how those things do on snow?

·
Registered
114 Posts
well, if you put a couple of strong dogs in the traces in front of it, IT would probably do Ok. why not just get a horse?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I'm really getting discouraged about dealers and distributors keeping up with Colt's changes and accurately describing and picturing the models (I admit it's very difficult to do).

On Davidson's galleryofguns site, the picture with the Model O4012XSE detail page shows a picture of an XS model, I am almost sure. Davidsons is usually pretty darned accurate with their descriptions and pictures.

Colt doesn't stock or use the beavertail grip safety shown in the pic any more, and the pic of this Commander has the old XS novak low carry style sights. This pic also shows an ambi safety, which Colt told me that they are just recently starting to assemble on some of their XSE model pistols.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I guess it's hard to keep up with Colt when they don't have a current catalog and their web site doesn't even show the XSE models. And I am a die hard Colt fan.

Addendum: Colt recently decided to start putting ambi safeties on the GM XSE. I don't know about the Commanders. Colt is now referring to the GM XSE's with the standard safety as "old product".

Also, I have seen some NIB Colt GM XSE's with the 3-hole Videcki style trigger used on the Gold Cup Trophy. Whatever parts bin is closest, I guess.

Videcki retired early this year, and Colt is out of stock on genuine Videcki triggers for new assembly (so are most other mfrs). Colt now uses a Videcki style trigger that is supposed to be just as good.

[This message has been edited by AllColtsHere (edited 12-05-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts