1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Colt Commando in the local shop but the owner couldn't tell me much about it. The slide is marked Colt Commando Series. It appears to be a fullsize lightweight frame with an officer's size stainless steel upper. I cannot find anything in the books I have. The prefix is LCCXXX. He is asking $450.00 and I would rate the gun a conservative 90%-95% condition. Does anyone have any knowledge of such a configuration? Any comments or info would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You must have been at Jimmy's! I almost bought the same gun. But, like you, I didn't know much about them. I bought what was probably very over priced LW commander instead. I really wanted a colt commander and had a lot of money from heaven and couldn't find one anywhere between P,cola, Creastview, and FT. Walt 'cept at Jimmy's. Not thinking!!! Still happy with the gun though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
del4, Thats exactly where I saw it. I had looked at the LW Commander also, but I already had a Commander so I passed. I went back and put the Commando on layaway so my wife could get it for me for Christmas. She doesn't know it yet, but I figure I'm saving her all that time and worry about what to get me. Nice to know there are other Colt fans in the area. Jimmy's usually has something good to lookat. I also bought a Colt CCO from him a few months back. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
chucker:
The "Commando" has been discussed here a time or two, as I recall. It was made as a ltd. run by Colt, in both SS and lwt. versions. Mine is a N.I.B. all-SS version. As I understand it, 250 of each variant were made. It is essentially an Officer's slide atop a Commander frame. Interesting gun. Colt later came out with a production variant, dubbed the "Recon". Didn't sell well, as I recall, and was pulled.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Do a "search" here for Commando, Recon, Tank Commander, Tactical Lightweight Officer, and there is another one I'm sure
that I'm missing. These are all the same configuration, Commander frame, OACP slide. $450 would be a good deal IMO.
The current make of this pistol is the Defender Plus, which is a LWC frame and a Defender slide since the OACP is no longer in
production. They work very well in a horizontal shoulder holster.
Oh ya, the other name I forgot is Commanding Officer. :D

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts