·
Premium Member
14,640 Posts
38 Special is 38 Special.

LOG

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok I have had quite an interest in military issued Colt DA's and have learned a little about them so I'll take a shot at answering your question. There was 45,000+ made between 1942-1945. It was mainly issued out to police officers, factory/plant guards, and other non-military personnel through the Defense Supplies Corp. Just over 16,000 were issued to various military units for specific use. I have seen pictures of pilots with them in holsters and some packed in grease and marked with Mass. National Guard stamps. That one looks to be correct with the right box and instruction pamphlet. Is it worth buying????:confused: Thats up to you, check out what Blue Book is and decide accordingly. I would recommend "U.S. Handguns of World War II the Secondary Pistols and Revolvers" by Mr. Charles Pate if you are looking at such guns. Good Luck! :rock:

·
Registered
566 Posts
the commando is a sleeper. for some reason they do not gather much interest:confused: as stated above they were mainly a dsc gun issued to state side plant security guards. very much along the lines of s&w's victory model, it was a cheapened up version of one of colt's well established pistols, the official police. colt brochures of the period advertised that the op was able to handle the s&w cartridge known as the .38-44, which was the precursor to the .357 magnum.

an op and a commando.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
When I went on a Highway Patrol in the late 60's I was issued a very pristine Commando.

It was virtually new, because nobody but NOBODY still carried a 38 at that time.
The Patrol eventually upgraded to S&W model 66's and I bought two of the Commandos for $40.00 apiece.

I wish I smart enough to still have them.:bawling:

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I was issued a S&W .38 special by my department when I started out in 1970, In 1990 when I was forced into retirement due to injuries my department started the switch to Glocks. We are entitled to keep our department issued guns when we retire. I had some friends suggest that I should see if I could turn in the revolver and get the Glock so I could keep it instead of the S&W when I retired. That S&W served me well for 20 years and there was no way I would trade it for a Glock. It's getting close to 20 years since I retired and I still have the Smith, I am glad I kept it and will never get rid of it.

PS it wasn't a sure thing that if I tried to get the Glock that my department would go along with but I think I would have had a good chance of getting it. I couldn't get rid of a gun that never failed me in 20 years, I didn't like Glocks all that much but if I really wanted one I would have bought one but fast forward almost 20 years and I still don't own a Glock but I bought a lot more revolvers.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Brain,

Is that your snubby Commando in the pic you posted? :eek: Very nice, an original 2incher is hard to find these days. Got anymore? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
566 Posts
yeah, paid 400 for it last year.
nobody involved knew anything about them or the value.
come to find out later the 400 was a steal for it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sooooo, got anymore Brain? Or know who does? One of those is on my wish list :D I don't want to pirate this thread so PM me :)

·
Banned
79 Posts
howdy , thes old sixguns were issued to state side police defense guards , merchant marine ship crews, I was looking at one marked S PD , Syracuse NY PD , the owner of the gun shop decide to reblue it , 3 store owners later the gun sit in the show case, satana

·
Banned
79 Posts
hi Iggy , what other revolvers did the Wyoming Highway Patrol issue or let you carry ??
I am doing research on the S&W model 58 and just wondering as the Nevada Highway Patrol were one of the first in the nation to adopt the .41 magnum, many thanks, satana

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Santana,

WHP allowed private carry of anything we could qualify with.

Most carried issue Model 10 standard or heavy barrels, Colt's Commandos or personal .357 Mag revolvers.
Those that carried .357's carried Model 19's and one guy carried a Python.

One carried a Colt's 1911 govt model
One carried a S&W .44 Mag and I carried a Model 58.

Later on the Patrol issued S&W Model 66's and required that they be carried.

I quit and went back to ranching.....:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts