1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, is this just a normal producaiton colt with a match barrel? Or is there something special about it? Other than its a Colt. I like it cause its a series 70. Few things I would add to it, should I buy it, but don't want to mess up a "special" gun, making it a daily/duty carry (would need to add a mag well, trit. sights, grip change and ambi safety)

Colt Mfg 1911 Competition 70 Series .45 ACP 5" 8+1 Blued Carbon Steel Blue G10 w/Logo Grip - Blue/Black, 5" Barrel, 8+1 Rounds, Composite Grips

33 Reviews| 0 Questions & Answers
Model: O1970CCS

Condition: Factory New

Bud's Item Number: 35129

UPC: 098289111470

MFG: Colt

Colt Mfg 1911 Competition 70 Series .45 ACP 5 8+1 Blued Carbon Steel Blue G10 w/Logo Grip

View Product Videos

· Registered
2,103 Posts
Competitive shooting has really grown over the years and Colt was trying to keep in step. They took a Government model and upped the accuracy of it. When they brought the gun out in the mid-teens they priced it at under $1,000 and put a NM barrel in it and blue fiber sights A Series 80 trigger which a lot of people did not like. So they put 70 Series trigger in the newer ones and red fiber optic front. The Stainless model is a little over the thousand dollar retail mark. The Series 70 took the creep felt in the trigger with the original Series 80 guns out. They have the Colt Dual Spring Recoil System in to reduce recoil for faster follow up shots. Undercut trigger guard, wide, flared and lowered ejection port They put a Novak adjustable rear sight on it.
Now they are under new ownership and I suspect they will have some changes in many ways for the better under Dan Wesson.

· Registered
3,535 Posts
Competitive shooting has really grown over the years and Colt was trying to keep in step. They took a Government model and upped the accuracy of it. When they brought the gun out in the mid-teens they priced it at under $1,000 and put a NM barrel in it and blue fiber sights A Series 80 trigger which a lot of people did not like. So they put 70 Series trigger in the newer ones and red fiber optic front. The Stainless model is a little over the thousand dollar retail mark. The Series 70 took the creep felt in the trigger with the original Series 80 guns out. They have the Colt Dual Spring Recoil System in to reduce recoil for faster follow up shots. Undercut trigger guard, wide, flared and lowered ejection port They put a Novak adjustable rear sight on it.
Now they are under new ownership and I suspect they will have some changes in many ways for the better under Dan Wesson.
Not to detour the thread, but do you believe Colt 1911s will be under Dan Wesson’s division and not a separate division under CZ? That would be disappointing to me.

· Registered
2,979 Posts
There's nothing particularly special about this gun. It's called a "Competition" model, but the reality of it is, it's as close to being a combat/carry gun without actually being blocked by certain blue states that frown on "non-compliant" or politically incorrect models. I have this model and live in the People's Republic of MA. It's a great gun, but I would not put in the same class as true competition or target specific guns.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
Not to detour the thread, but do you believe Colt 1911s will be under Dan Wesson’s division and not a separate division under CZ? That would be disappointing to me.
You know, I don’t know. It would make the best sense to have Colt in its own division and I am sure they will at least identify it as such but whether their new facility will not have cross over between the two companies is something their corporate heads and bean counters will hash out when they have their new facility in Arkansas. They had delayed starting the plant because of C19 and concerns about backing from financial community because of bankings woke position heavily promoted and influenced by China. Yet another reason to be very concerned about Chinas enormous influence in our country.

I would suspect they might have divisions similar to what GM and the rest of the old big three had. I think the plan is to have all labels under one roof down south in a more favorable political environment for gun manufacturing. Who knows how that will go with the current communist administration in power. They must be hemorrhaging money limping along with the old facilities in blue rat states now though.
Thought this was interesting:
Rubio: China has deputized 'woke' American corporations as its lobbyists

· Administrator
81,055 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is the extractor. It will need to be tuned! If it’s in 9mm, you will need to also tune the ejector.
Otherwise they are great guns.
The extractors in Colt handguns are machined from bar stock and are of premium quality, but whoever fits them at the factory seems to have little idea what he/she/it is actually doing. It will most likely need some final adjustment.

· Administrator
81,055 Posts
Both Colt and Springfield have their issues at times, so inspect them both before making your decision.

· Registered
62 Posts
The extractors in Colt handguns are machined from bar stock and are of premium quality, but whoever fits them at the factory seems to have little idea what he/she/it is actually doing. It will most likely need some final adjustment.
Yep mine was the same way.first brass went right to the face

· Administrator
81,055 Posts
The last Colt I bought (O1911M) threw brass in my face, failed to feed at times and would lock open on a loaded mag. I had to tension the extractor, clean up the shape of the hook and change the angle of the ejector face. I also had to file some material off the slide stop follower tab and put a small dimple where the plunger rests. Now it works fine. It wasn't a big deal for me, but imagine being a first-time Colt 1911 owner and having a gun you just bought with that many problems.

Reactions: BlueMac

· Registered
62 Posts
The last Colt I bought (O1911M) threw brass in my face, failed to feed at times and would lock open on a loaded mag. I had to tension the extractor, clean up the shape of the hook and change the angle of the ejector face. I also had to file some material off the slide stop follower tab and put a small dimple where the plunger rests. Now it works fine. It wasn't a big deal for me, but imagine being a first-time Colt 1911 owner and having a gun you just bought with that many problems.
I was very lucky Steve from Allen town went out of his way to help me out and get me squared away and now my colt is running like a scalded dog . I'm learning but he showed me how's it's supposed to be . He knows his stuff. I really didn't know they should run like this

· Registered
117 Posts
Colt does make a Custom Shop Competition which should be enough for most of us.
I have one in 45ACP and one on 38Super.
They are hand fitted, triggers are excellent.
I want one in 9mm because my Club does not allow 38Super in Steel Plate Matches!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts