1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is purely an observation........I noticed on both this forum and Pistolsmith, folks who are keen on getting their Colts worked on (or improved so to speak) by one smithy or another (some big names there) and yet there has been no mention of anyone thinking abt letting the Colt Custom Shop do the work. What gives?

Many are concern that if work is done by the wrong smithy, the 'desirability' of the piece fades with time but what about having the Custom Shop do the work for you? If it's done by Colt themsleves........

What am I missing here?

Are they too expensive? Take too much time? Politically incorrect?

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I bought a Colt Tact. Level III, thinking that it was worked on by a custom shop Pistolsmith. Well it did have a great bevertail, mag well and extractor, but the barrel was poorly fitted the barrel bushing was not fitted and the hammer and sear were cheep MIM parts. This was a $1,200 gun. What does one made right cost?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have 3 Colt 1911's that were done by Colt's Custom Gun Shop.

One is a limited production (350 units) General Officers Model in bright stainless and another is an Officers model in bright stainless that I picked up used at a show that was reworked by Colt's custom shop.

The third gun is an early Gov't model series 70 that I ordered in 1971 and had the gun reworked with combat sights, trigger reworked, dehorned, reblued, fancy wood grips installed, tightened up, and a different bushing and springs installed. This was my first attempt at having a gun "customized'.

I must say that in all three guns the Colt shop did very nice work and the guns look and shoot great. I'm not the least bit disappointed in Colt's Custom Shop work or for that matter, in their pricing.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I've seen lots of interest in the "O" package from the custom shop. I haven't heard any real complaints about their custom work, just general gripes on workmanship of the original gun and people needing to get warranty service.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a GREAT local 1911 Smith, but I have 3 that I sent to the Custom Shop to have them do more than My local Can or Will do.

I LOVE my Two Matching XSE's one Commander and One Government both in Stainless that The Custom Shop Did. I had then Do everything including High Polish the sides, leaving the Matt finish alone. I had installed Wilson Drop-in Grip safeties and even had them Bead Blast the finish to match, They cut Early Gold Cup Grip Frame ASerations and Trigger Guard Serations on both. And Tighened the slides and did trigger Jobs on both.

They are Shooters, but with the REAL Ivory Grips from Nutmeg Sports with Custom Shop Medallions, they get OOOh's and AAAH's everywhere I take them.

And I had them BOTH done last year and Got a GREAT Suprise! I sent them at the Last of Nov. knowing that it may take 6-8 weeks to get them back because of all the Holiday's in a row. But I received them Both Two days before XMASS! I Was Thrilled! And they were returned in Custom Shop Blue Boxes and had Test targets in each, you could lay a Dime over.

I have been VERY Happy each time I have delt with them!

The Last one I got just came back, Its a Blue Government 80's series, I have them do the "O" Package and Put Metal trigger with Adj. Over travel screw, Adj. Rear Sight and a New Taller front Sight with a Orange Thingie. I haven't shot it yet, but again, if the Test Target is anything near what it really shoots like, I'll be VERY HAPPY!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Colt Custom Shop Work

HotToyz, was a Colt Barstock Commander Hammer included in the Model O Package, or did you have to supply your own hammer? Were there any parts that you had to provide? Did the price for the Model O Package include the cost of the parts? Did they include a Custom Shop Box and test target with your Model O Package free of charge?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am seriously considering sending in my own Colt 1991A1 ORM Governent for the Model O Package, and don't feel that I have gotten reliable information from the Colt Customer Service line. I asked the customer service rep if a hammer was included in the Model O package and was told I would have to provide my own after the rep read through the description and found there is no mention of the hammer in the catalog description of the Model O Package. I also asked if the gun would be returned to me in a Custom Shop Box and was told it wouldn't be, but indeed your XSE models were. Don't get me wrong, I like Colt's Customer Service, but I am surprised at the fact that the information they have on the Custom Shop options is limited to the same catalog descriptions which their retail customers already have. I know that I should be talking to their Custom Shop, but I always get the Custom Shop voicemail. I haven't left a phone message yet, but I have sent the Custom Shop an e-mail with my questions, but that was about five days ago and I haven't received a response. I know that Colt is slow and deliberate when it comes to getting back in touch with customers, so I haven't lost hope of receiving a response.

Any insight you can share would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Colt Custom Work

If you do not feel you have gotten the proper attention, why not check out your options else where before you send your gun to Colt. Call or e-mail some gun smiths. Discuss the work you want and request a price estimate and turn around time. Or, check out some websites for custom gunsmiths. Many of the websites have menus of custom work including prices. I have found the louderthanwords.us website also informative on the world of 1911 customization.

Quite frankly, I had considered sending one of my new Colts to Colt for some custom work before I shot it. But instead I shot it first. I was so disappointed with the performance of the gun, it jammed, it did not shoot to point of aim, and the trigger pull was sketchy, that to my mind the thing to do was to have the gun independently evaluated - have the gunsmith I selected determine whether the problems I experienced were mine or the guns, address the problems, and do the custom work I wanted. I had not shot in many years and except for the jamming, the other two problems could have been shooter induced.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have one pistol that was built by the Custom Shop and it is the sweetest 1911 I have! The original owner had to wait a year for it!

No question the Custom Shop does excellent work and when you go to sell it there are never any second guesses.

I usually send all my work to APW because they are fast and excellent. It never takes them more than six weeks to do anything and most of the time I get it back in a week or two.

I would use the Custom Shop if they had a better reputation for better consisent turnaround.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Custom Shop Work

jampamestes said:
HotToyz, was a Colt Barstock Commander Hammer included in the Model O Package, or did you have to supply your own hammer? Were there any parts that you had to provide? Did the price for the Model O Package include the cost of the parts? Did they include a Custom Shop Box and test target with your Model O Package free of charge?
I had already changed Both the Hammers and put in the Grip Safeties Myself. And I would Have to go back and see on my Credit Card Bill or Original Invoice to see what I was Actualy Charged. But, before they do ANY work, you are sent a Invoice with requested work and Prices to be approved by YOU. But I had Called days before my Invoice arrived and went through what I wanted and Approved Everything over the phone with C.C. Number ECT.

I had sent them a DETAILED letter stating EXACTLY what I wanted done, with the Guns. And Like I said, I jumped the gun, and called just days before my Invoice arrived. I WAS NOT Charged for the Custom Shop Boxes, Nor, the Test Targets, All Custom Shop Work includes Test Targets I Believe? But like I said, it was only Days Before XMASS, and The Boxes might have been a FREEBIE? Since I sent mine in just Crappy, but well made and packed Card Board Boxes. I NEVER send mine back in the OEM boxes. I had sent some Guns Back to S&W a few years ago to be LASER ENGRAVED and they returned them to me in Generic Boxes, I was MAD! And when I called back, they just said, I Don't Know, what happened to your original boxes! And I vowed then to NEVER Return My Guns in OEM boxes to a Manf. again.

Call Paul Zamski at Colt and talk to PAUL. He is the one I've delt with and He knows the In's and Out's. He was VERY Helpful and KNEW his Stuff! If he can't Help(?) I bet he can steer you in the right Direction!

I called the other day, and Paul was not at his desk, and spoke to a REAL NICE Lady, But she didn't know a Commander from a Cup Of Tea! So its all in who you get in Customer Service!

BUT, Like I stated! A Detailed starting letter is the KEY! They will NOT perform ANY work tell you give the OK! And thats your chance to Modify ANY additional work you may or may NOT want done!

And I just had Wilson do some work on a Commander. And they just did what I had asked to be done. ONLY! And I kind'a wished they had called or I had talked to them before the work was done (Also My Fault). After telling them what I wanted in the letter, I had thought of a THOUSAND Things to do and I called them to add more stuff and change more stuff, and was told TOO LATE, my Gun Was on it's way back. If they had called or I hadn't included my Credit Card Info in the Original Letter, hoping to speed them along I could and would have been Happier!

So, I like the way the Custom Shop handles their Business as well!

GOOD LUCK! And I think you'll be PLEASED! I have been EVERY time! And I'm looking for my NEXT Project! And rest assured, I'll send another one back to the CUSTOM SHOP! I have a Original Stainless Gold Cup National Match, and DON'T want to modify it, but been having thoughts of a Custom Stainless Throphy beeing Done. Like Ambi Safety, Front Grip Frame Serations (Like the Early G.C.'s) and High Polishing the Sides like my XSE's. So if I can trade for or find a Slightly used Trophy, it WILL be my NEXT Colt Custom Shop Project!

And Found, the COLT Custom Shop prices, are NOT out of line, after just dealing with Wilson's and talking to Kimber about some work! COLT was CHEAP compared to the prices I was Quoted By KIMBER! They are NUTZ!

And I like having access to the Original Manf. to do my Custom Work! I wouldn't take a Corvette to the KIA Dealer to have Custom Work Done on it. I know Clark's and Wilson's Ed Brown ECT, do GREAT work, but its a COLT! And recently saw a THREAD somewhere, stating that "I BELIEVE" it was KIMBER? Stating they will work on ALL 1911's? NOT MY COLT's! Sorry! They'll go to COLT everytime!

Keep Us Posted!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts